Object database coordinates not accurate

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: yang, Sam, Ji.zwo, lancer jiang

astrosatch

Object database coordinates not accurate

Post by astrosatch » Thu May 16, 2019 7:07 am

Hi!
I'm using ASIAIR with EQmod and when I choose object from database it doesn't come into center. Even multiple platesolving doesn't help. So I checked coordinates in Skysafari and are different. Then I manually put coordinates from skysafari and the object ends in center. I'm not sure how many objects are incorect, but I noticed more than one. Ngc 4038 is off by several minutes. This should be corrected, because otherwise object list is useless and one should do better with manually entering coordinates from Skysafari.

Br,
Andrej

lancer jiang

Re: Object database coordinates not accurate

Post by lancer jiang » Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 am

Hi Andrej
I got the same RA&Dec,the same altitude,etc..by my AIR and SkySafari,please check the screenshot attached.

Here‘s my step
1. AIR: choose object-> search ngc 4038
2. SkySafari 5 pro ->Search ngc 4038

12345.png

mAnKiNd

Re: Object database coordinates not accurate

Post by mAnKiNd » Fri May 17, 2019 2:30 am

astrosatch wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:07 am
Hi!
I'm using ASIAIR with EQmod and when I choose object from database it doesn't come into center. Even multiple platesolving doesn't help. So I checked coordinates in Skysafari and are different. Then I manually put coordinates from skysafari and the object ends in center. I'm not sure how many objects are incorect, but I noticed more than one. Ngc 4038 is off by several minutes. This should be corrected, because otherwise object list is useless and one should do better with manually entering coordinates from Skysafari.

Br,
Andrej

I can report I am experiencing a similar issue.

Right now, NGC 7023 (Iris Nebula) is not agreeing with Sky Safari 6 Pro pointing.

The target slew was initiated in ASIAIR and subsequently centered by three plate solving and sync attempts, but the target did not end up in the centre of the crosshair (it was relatively close) so I followed it up with some manual mount adjustments until it was good enough.

Following this, switching to SS6 revealed that the pointing frame was showing way off after the ASIAIR plate solve and sync! I even tried hitting align in SS6 after plate solve and sync in ASIAIR and SS6 is stating "command failure...too far from telescope's actual position".

Furthermore, RA+DEC coordinates for the Iris Nebula do NOT agree between the two apps, they have slightly different values, which is most probably why this issue exists.

Please advise?

Using EQMOD with AZ-GTi on Android.

Hope this helps.
Minos