MFW/EFW camera side M42 port too large for ASI1600

Focusers, Filters, Barlows etc..

Moderators: Sam, Sean.Wang

stubblejumper

MFW/EFW camera side M42 port too large for ASI1600

Post by stubblejumper » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:17 pm

My ASI1600MM Pro cannot be tightened to the filter wheel on the camera side. It simply slides in without making any connection to the threads. Yet, on the scope side, it will tighten normally. I am looking for suggestions to make a normal connection. I could use a thin M42 M-F adapter except that when used with a lens, that will cause the back focus to be too long by whatever is the thickness of that adapter. Once exceeded, infinity focus is not possible. Not a problem for scopes but half of my glass are telephoto lenses. Perhaps I can just turn the the EFW around. Gerd Neumann at Astronomik assures me that I can use his filters in either direction. SharpCap is the app I use. I assume if the EFW is backwards, the filters will rotate in the opposite direction and I will have to remember that the sequence is reversed.

stubblejumper

Re: MFW/EFW camera side M42 port too large for ASI1600

Post by stubblejumper » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:27 am

A correction. Although a male M42 - 1.25" nosepiece screwed in tightly, nothing else did. The ZWO - Nikon F-mount had the same problem as my ASI1600. I don't know why ZWO would sell two different styles of filter wheels with a porthole that didn't meet the specs for its own products - MFW and EFW. I can't use either with lenses. I tried a M42 M-F adapter but it made the back focus too long to work with a Nikkor lens. So I need a creative solution that doesn't increase the backfocus but allows me to use a Canon EOS or Nikon F-mount lens.