EAF Stopped

Focusers, Filters, Barlows etc..

Moderators: Sam, Sean.Wang

kurtzepp

EAF Stopped

Post by kurtzepp » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:55 pm

I purchased a ZWO EAF approximately 6 mo ago from High Point Sci. and have been very happy with until the other night. I went out to try to image something (I have a permanent mount and shed) and set up and the focuser didn't move. BTW I use APT. The setting on APT flashed when I tried to move the focuser. Eventually it made a beep. I thought maybe it was resetting itself so I turned everything off and back on and now it does not recognize the the EAF. I reinstalled the driver and nothing. I also connected my other computer and the same, everything else works except the focuser. Also, the red power light is on so I know power is getting to it.

I contacted Highpoint who instructed me to reinstall the driver, update the firmware, try a new cable.

I reinstalled the driver, updated the firmware, changed the cable, and even changed the computer and still nothing. The red light still works when I plug it in when I go to properties it still does not detect the EAF.

Thanks Kurt

Katherine.Tsai

Re: EAF Stopped

Post by Katherine.Tsai » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:40 am

Did you see any new device show up in the device manager?
It will not list as the name of "EAF" but "USB input device".
Could you show us the general page and Hardware Ids?
Attachments
WXWorkCapture_15742427037230.png
WXWorkCapture_15742427454770.png

kurtzepp

Post by kurtzepp » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:13 am

Hi Katherine, thanks for your reply.

I reinstalled the drivers and firmware again. This time it seemed to work - I think it was the firmware, I don't think I did it properly last time. That is the good news. APT sees it as does ASICAP and they both can control it partially.

The bad news it they only partially control it. Lets say I move it out 1000 steps it only goes out 250 steps, it blips and freezes. I can move it back.

I disconnected the it from the focuser knob it it works fine.

I know the temperature suddenly got colder recently and my rack and pinon focuser is harder to turn. It seems like the EAF does not have the power to move it. Is it and EAF issue or AstroTech focuser.

I was thinking about trying to connect it to my fine focus side as it seems easier to turn. Does this seem logical?

Also, I sent this same reply to Highpoint as I am working them on this issue as well since I purchased from them.

kurtzepp

Post by kurtzepp » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Keep our fingers crossed, I think it got it working. I reconnected everything and left a little more space where the connections are and also I discovered that ASICAP and APT/ASCOM work in reverse order. That is the move in on ASICAP is move out on APT and visa versa. I moved the focuser all the way out and started that is the zero position on ASICAP. When I tried to start from the focuser all the way in, it gets stuck. It seems to work now especially where I achieve focus.

Once we get some clear weather I will let you know for sure if it is fixed.

- Kurt
- AstroQuest1

Katherine.Tsai

Post by Katherine.Tsai » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:31 am

I will wait for your message.:)

kurtzepp

Post by kurtzepp » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:47 pm

After several nights of imaging it works. I think it was the firmware update that fixed it - or made it possible to be recognized again. As far as the focuser getting stuck, since I moved the zero position start with the focuser out it seems to work well.

Katherine.Tsai

Post by Katherine.Tsai » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:56 am

Happy to know the EAF is working again.