Unique Camera ID for ASI174

any question related to our SDK and driver

Moderators: yang, chad, ray

CarpeBoth

Unique Camera ID for ASI174

Post by CarpeBoth » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:30 pm

Hello,

I plan to support ASI cameras in a commercial application where the licenses are bound to a unique camera ID.
For that to work i need to be able to access some kind of "unique enough" information, that can not be modified.
An actual serial number would be perfect, but a combination of other values would also be ok.

For my application the ASI174 ist probably the best choice.
What options do i have to get a unique id from that camera?
If there is no default data, might there be a unique and reproducible pattern in the sensor data that i could use?

Best regards,
CarpeBoth

chad

Re: Unique Camera ID for ASI174

Post by chad » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:24 am

Hi Carpeboth,
Now we offer a function named: ASIGetSerialNumber
you can use it to identify the different camera. Beside that, there also is a self-define ID, you can use ASISetID and ASIGetID to identify it.
Thanks
Chad
ZWO Driver Engineer
SuZhou China

CarpeBoth

Post by CarpeBoth » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:26 am

Hello Chad,

Does that new ASIGetSerialNumber API function work with the ASI174M?
When using the latest APICAP with my older ASI174M it reports "Not supported" or similar when looking for the SerialNumber in the Info Screen.

Could not the camera driver itself derive some unique identifying information from its low-level access to the camera, even if no deliberate ID was set at time of manufacture?
The driver could also just use some random value (seeded from the time and a few other things) and store that in some non volatile location on the camera and then report that from that point on. It just has to be unique enough and be returned every time when using the ASIGetSerialNumber function.

A self defined value that can be altered by the user does not help for this scenario.

Best regards,
CarpeBoth

chad

Post by chad » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:06 am

Hi CarpeBoth,
Sorry for the problem.
This function is supported by our new cameras, like pro. And the un-cooled USB3.0 cameras which is producted in this year also support.
For the earlier cameras, because there is no such a need at that time, so it is not supported. And for the current, it is impossible to add a this function in SDK for every camera.
And this SN is a series of ASCII, So I think you should display them in Hexadecimal。
Thanks
Chad
ZWO Driver Engineer
SuZhou China