Cannot Select A Main Camera

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: yang, Sam, lancer jiang, Ji.zwo

pascal.rustat

Re: Cannot Select A Main Camera

Post by pascal.rustat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:57 am

Hi ji,

Thanks for this first prompt reply.
Unfortunately, I already srupulously applied all what you mention (what is release noted in front of your app version 1.0.9) in all of my tests, but no way to recognize my Canon 2000D! Is the last version 1.3 of app as deeply tested as the 1.0.9 version about DSLR supports ... I mean, is there a possibility of code degradation from 1.0.9 to 1.3 in this scope area?
Any further help would be welcome!

BR
Pascal

Ji.zwo

Post by Ji.zwo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:04 am

pascal.rustat wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:57 am
Hi ji,

Thanks for this first prompt reply.
Unfortunately, I already srupulously applied all what you mention (what is release noted in front of your app version 1.0.9) in all of my tests, but no way to recognize my Canon 2000D! Is the last version 1.3 of app as deeply tested as the 1.0.9 version about DSLR supports ... I mean, is there a possibility of code degradation from 1.0.9 to 1.3 in this scope area?
Any further help would be welcome!

BR
Pascal
Okay, if so, that would be a bug from the begin till now, we will try to get on 2000D and test it. If we have future info I will reply you here.
ZWO | Tech Support
SuZhou China

pascal.rustat

Post by pascal.rustat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:57 pm

Thanks a lot ... feel free to request me as beta tester in case you need one ;)
Pascal

Alegon

Post by Alegon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:03 am

Hi ji.zwo,
I continue to struggle with the ASiair to to no avail..so far.
I have rebooted and changed usb inputs as indicated several times...no resolve. The setup is the same with both ASI cameras ( 183MC and 120MM Mini).
If I only connect one camera the ASiair will recognize it for a short period and then freeze!
Turning the ASiair on with nothing connected to the inputs (usb), no problem...
You mentioned reboot and change usb inputs (ports) ...I did, and you mention this sometimes happen...really? ...everything connected is ZWO products.
Ok, back to basics, any way to do a “hard reset” on the ASiair unit..I don’t see a pin hole, maybe inside...pls advise? I said this because you confirmed that with OS (platform) there is no way back...
I just want your product to work as intended.
Thanks,
Alex

W7AY

Post by W7AY » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi Alex,

> If I only connect one camera the ASiair will recognize it for a short period and then freeze!
> Turning the ASiair on with nothing connected to the inputs (usb), no problem...

These two clues sound to be almost be like a power starvation problem. If so, you might also see a low power warning in the setup window (the window you see when you press on the button that looks like a WiFi icon).

If you have a DVM, you can open up the Raspberry Pi (ASIAIR) enclosure and measure the 5V pins on GPIO connector (many documentation on the Raspberry Pi GPIO connector on the web). *Be careful* not to short anything. The Raspberry Pi board should see no less than 5 to 5.1 volts.

If you do not have a DVM, I would test using a good wall plug "smart phone charger" that has USB Type A output, to which you can attach a good phone charging cable that has a micro USB connector at the end that plugs into the ASIAIR. Do not use just any data cable, since some of those would be a problem by itself. You need something with heavier gauge wires; ones are usually sold as "charging cable."

I recommend initially testing with a different cable from the one in the ASIAIR box, since that could be the problem in the first place. Be sure the micro USB connector seats well into the Raspberry Pi power connector. You may need to remove the plastic side panel (it pops out, you can find Raspberry Pi video on the internet) to confirm a good connection.

Although a "12 watt" camera charger is a little low, it may be enough to power two cameras. A 15 watt to 18 watt charger should be enough if you keep the USB charging cable short. Try it with 0.5m or shorter cables first, if you have them around.

If a different power supply/power cable works reliably, then your problem is narrowed to 1) insufficient 12V supply to the ZWO 12V-5V adapter, 2) the 12V-5V adapter itself, or 3) the USB-A to micro-USB cable that came with the ASIAIR.

(Be sure to use a 5.5mm/2.1mm connector to supply the 12V to the ASIAIR power adapter (small red brick) -- do not use a 5.5mm/2.5mm connector to feed the ZWO power converter.)

Good luck,
Chen

Alegon

Post by Alegon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Hello Chen,

We just crossed postings...and I think I lost my (long) last response-entry!

That was exactly the problem...not enough current! I should had figured out before. But last night after many attempts the ASiair will continue to crash. No problem at idle by itself but once the cameras were connected the leds will dim a little and then turn off.
I proceeded and replaced the 12V/3A PS (wall type) I was using and connected a 12V/12A brick type PS to the DC ASI converter....and BINGO!!
The ASiair lighted up like a Christmas tree...no crashes and all the cameras connected. I went through the menus (learning) for while with no problems. The ASiair and cameras have been on since last night for over 12 hours - with no interruptions, crashes or problems.
Problem SOLVED!
I hope this help someone...if the manufacturer tells you to use a specific PS and the included cables just DO it! Don’t believe on those wall type PS you get for free or very inexpensive and have laying around.

Thanks again Chen, Ji and the rest...

Alex

pascal.rustat

Post by pascal.rustat » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi again Ji & Zwo team,
A step further in my testing:
I had the opportunity to grab the very first version of app v1.0.9 which should support Canon DSLR with ASIAIR firmware v2.14 (the only combination for which I found a real user post with a screen copy showing these versions working with a Canon 450D).
Unfortunately, using these versions 1.0.9 (2.14), my brand new Canon 2000D DSLR is not recognized better, so I am waiting for any tips and tricks that could help to understand what's wrong with this combination which should work.
BR
Pascal

Ji.zwo

Post by Ji.zwo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:10 am

pascal.rustat wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:37 pm
Hi again Ji & Zwo team,
A step further in my testing:
I had the opportunity to grab the very first version of app v1.0.9 which should support Canon DSLR with ASIAIR firmware v2.14 (the only combination for which I found a real user post with a screen copy showing these versions working with a Canon 450D).
Unfortunately, using these versions 1.0.9 (2.14), my brand new Canon 2000D DSLR is not recognized better, so I am waiting for any tips and tricks that could help to understand what's wrong with this combination which should work.
BR
Pascal
Thank you for your info, I have feedback to our dev team. Hope they can find out the issue and fix it
ZWO | Tech Support
SuZhou China

Kerisun

Post by Kerisun » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:44 am

Who used a picture converter for camera? I try to use more methods now i found https://onlineconvertfree.com/converter/images/

Ji.zwo

Post by Ji.zwo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:09 am

Kerisun wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:44 am
Who used a picture converter for camera? I try to use more methods now i found https://onlineconvertfree.com/converter/images/
Good tool, but, no FITs format. LOL
ZWO | Tech Support
SuZhou China