ASIair integration with EQ6-R mount

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: yang, Sam, lancer jiang, Ji.zwo

galactique

ASIair integration with EQ6-R mount

Post by galactique » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:24 pm

I have a new installation and have several issues where I need advice. I have only used the setup a few times so far.

I have

ASIair with ASI 294 imaging camera; ASI 120 guide camera on OAG

Polemaster camera, polemaster running on dedicated Windows Minimax

The mount is Sky Watcher EQ6-R Pro with Sync Scan handset. Esprit 100 telescope.

I have a wifi dongle for the mount also but it is not used.

So, I am finding system integration questions.

1. Cabling;

I have a USB cable between ASIair and the SynScan. SynScan in turn is plugged into to the mount.
I have an ST4 cable between the guide camera and the mount.
I have tried also connection from ASIair via ZWO converter USB/ST4, but the converter never illuminates so I have abandoned this route.

2. ASIair setup

ASIair will not recognise the SynScan/mount in Telescope Setting, and will not connect. The response is Not Found. I successfully fool it by selecting a Celestron mount in the menu and it connects.
I am surprised that ASIair does not recognise the Sky Watcher mount.

Why does the ASIair not connect correctly to SynScan and thus the mount?

I can do plate solves and click Sync Mount. But I am not convinced that anything really happens.

In guiding, I am not sure that the mount is actually accepting/obeying guiding signals, maybe it is tracking without guiding ??

Polar alignment is not difficult, I do one Goto with the SynScan and then plate solve.
Then Goto with SynScan to the target and adjust with hand controller. Plate solve and Sync.
Then guiding, and I am not convinced the tracking is being done by the guider at all.

I would appreciate any advice and confirmation of what, if anything, is wrong

lancer jiang

Re: ASIair integration with EQ6-R mount

Post by lancer jiang » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi

ST4 connection:Here is a link for your reference.
Connect camera and mount with ST4 cable, Connect ASIAIR with USB cable.
Choose On-Camera-ST4.

synscan connection:RJ-RS232 to USB-RS232 to ASIAIR

“”In guiding, I am not sure that the mount is actually accepting/obeying guiding signals“”
check the RMS error on screen

“”Then guiding, and I am not convinced the tracking is being done by the guider at all. “”
you can check it in the telescope settings,the tracking should be enabled
any more, you can stop you guiding and the tracking continues(you can check this few minutes later)

galactique

Post by galactique » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:45 pm

thanks for the reply,

I do not see a link, could you please update to include the link??

galactique

Post by galactique » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:19 pm

What do I do about this? This is with physical USB between Synscan and ASIair.

ASIair will not recognise the SynScan/mount in Telescope Setting, and will not connect. The response is Not Found.

maudette

Post by maudette » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:36 pm

Hi;

I have the same mount and cameras as you but a different telescope.

cabling:
ASIAir -----------------------------EQ6-R-------------------120mmguide---------------------asi294mc
usb-A----------------------------> usb-B(on the mount NOT handset)
usb-A--------------------------------------------------------------->usb3-B
usb_A---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------usb3-B
NO ST-4

process:

1- Polar align
2- Turn on ASIAir but DO NOT CONNECT MOUNT on ASIAir (you wont be anyway until aligned if you choose Synscan beta)
2- 3 stars align (its easy and makes life easier :)) use auto-refresh in camera setting bin4, sec:1
3- Go back to home
4- Connect to mount on ASIAir, choose synscan Beta. (serial, 9600)

You are now ready.
I've tried, many many different ways... Other Choice for the mount is EQ-dir but I've had the mount acting funny and you have to set the handset on Computer mode, AND you can't use SkySafari (well there is a way but its complicated).

The process above gives me a very stable and predictable outcome. I get right on target, do a plate solve and you will be dead on. I really like the "whats best tonight on ASIAir". The last version is really great. the inclination info makes it very easy. but I also use SkySafari. works perfect.

I strongly suggest the focuser and mini wheel, they all work flawlessly too under ASIAir.

Michel
Michel

galactique

Post by galactique » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:53 am

Maudette/Michel

Excellent, thankyou for your help

But......there is no USB interface on my EQ6-R. I have ST4 and RJ45 only. Do you mean the USB socket on the SYnScan ??

ETA I understand that SkyWatcher now ship EQ6 with USB but mine does not have one.

maudette

Post by maudette » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:53 pm

ahhh, mine does. either way, no big deal.... Same connector but on the handset. the rest is the same.

Michel