New camera with very impressive IMX 482 new Sony sensor

Moderator: Sam

XS_MAN

New camera with very impressive IMX 482 new Sony sensor

Post by XS_MAN » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:41 pm

Hi Sam,
Hi Catherine,
Hi all,

To my opinion, for a new high sensitivity color camera there is a 2.1 Mpix impressive new
sensor that could be "the killer of the year", the Sony IMX482 :

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products ... _Flyer.pdf

Same generation as IMX462 but it's a Quad-Bayer sensor as IMX294. It's not based on 2.4
microns technology, here it's a new 2.9 microns pixels techno. So the "super-pixels" are
now 5.8 microns !!

5.8 microns, YEEESSSSSSSS !! It's not a dream. Real big pixels, incredible in this world
of tiny pixels!

As IMX462 and IMX482 are the same generation, we could expect very close read noise.
Lower or equal 1e-, to my opinion.

Big pixels and high sensitivity. So this sensor will be absolutly perfect for deep sky lucky
imaging and EEA. For planetary use it will be a good sensor. Not the fastest one, yes...

As it's a sensor with big pixels so it could be use on every kind of telescopes including
Maksutov and Cassegrain telescopes. And with a fast telescope, the signal will be very
strong and deep sky lucky imaging could extend to fainter targets.
For me it's a great improvements !! ;)

Albéric

Moson

Re: New camera with very impressive IMX 482 new Sony sensor

Post by Moson » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:53 am

Hi Albéric,
Thank you for sharing this excellent sensor to us! That souds great. And we will convey your feedback to our devs and they will consider this.
Have a nice day!

XS_MAN

Post by XS_MAN » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:08 pm

Hi Albéric,
Thank you for sharing this excellent sensor to us! That souds great. And we will convey your feedback to our devs and they will consider this.
Have a nice day!
Hi Moson,

Please keep me (and us !) informed when you will evaluate it !

Many thanks !
Best.

Albéric

Moson

Post by Moson » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:11 am

Hi Albéric,
Yes, we will. Also you could keep an eye on our website, or our New Products section.
Have a nice day!

XS_MAN

Post by XS_MAN » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:08 pm

I forget a very important data given by Sony to evaluate sensibility of sensors in low light
conditions use : the SNR1s criterion.

All explanation are here :
https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/e/produc ... oduct.html

Since nearly 5 years, the champions were the well-known IMX224/IMX385 with SNR1s = 0.13

Now the new champion is IMX482 with SNR1s = 0.07.
2 times better than IMX224 !

Albéric

Moson

Post by Moson » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:08 am

That's a very good sensor, thanks for sharing us! Our devs will working hard to provide our customers a better camera which use a better sensor in the near future.

Tjn

Post by Tjn » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:38 pm

Hi zwo team

Should the IMX482 have similar NIR capabilities to imx462, this could open up an entirely new market for sub urban astronomers.

I have done some studies within the field of NIR-RGB astronomy of galaxies as an alternative to LRGB. Until now the results are very positive.

What it requires is a NIR sensitive camera with very low noise. Until now I have used a cool modded asi224mc.

What is particular interesting about this method is that it beats light pollution, and is less effected by seeing. Stars have a tendency to “explode”, which is an effect of scope diffraction limitations. Though The diffraction limitation is to be dealt with by dither/drizzle convolution. The result is a suburban photo technique for galaxies, less affected by seeing and light pollution.

The challenge: to find a low noise camera that is sensitive in NIR, since drizzle convolution is dependent of statistical spread between adjacent pixels.

I’m writing an article on the topic, and will be very interested in doing some initial testing, if the IMX482 is indeed NIR sensitive.

Best regards
Thomas Gera Jensen

Support@ZWO

Post by Support@ZWO » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:58 am

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for your feedback, I have conveyed your message to our devs and we will consider this.
Suzhou China

Tjn

Post by Tjn » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:34 am

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. I currently use a cool modded asi224mc as test camera and the zwo850nm pass filter, for NIR shot of galaxies. Even though it is 3 times weaker in NIR sens. Than I expect the imx482 to be, results are great.

Best regards
Thomas

Support@ZWO

Post by Support@ZWO » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:23 am

Thank you for your support.:)
Suzhou China