EOS Lens Adapter Loose - EFW Version

Focusers, Filters, Barlows etc..

Moderators: Sam, Sean.Wang

another_mikey

EOS Lens Adapter Loose - EFW Version

Post by another_mikey » Wed May 16, 2018 3:48 pm

When I have any of my Canon lenses mounted to my ASI1600MM-C camera I have a fair amount of play (looseness, lens turns after engagagement, along with wobble). I have the last version of the camera prior to the release of the Pro series, if that matters. I see this behavior with any of my Canon lenses mounted. I do use a lens mounting ring for my larger lens, along with the camera mounting ring. I had a custom spacer plate made (about 8mm for mounting my Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS lens) that tries to take the elevation difference between the 2 plates into account.

This problem is obvious even when mounting a lighter lens, and just holding the camera completely vertical. The lens still turns a noticeable amount back and forth when clicked into place and also has significant side wobble as well.

As a result of all of this, my attempts to image using this adapter so far have resulted in inconsistent star quality across the frame, often shifting during the imaging session as the camera rotates through different orientations.

I bought this adapter back when I got my camera, a while ago. I did see elsewhere in this Accessories forum a mention from ZWO that this adapter has been improved - is that true? I would try a newer version if there is some reason to believe the design has been improved to mitigate or eliminate these issues. Can anyone from ZWO confirm this?

Thanks bunches,

Happy ZWO ASI1600 Owner!

Mike L.
Longmont, CO, USA

Sean.Wang

Re: EOS Lens Adapter Loose - EFW Version

Post by Sean.Wang » Fri May 18, 2018 4:03 am

Hi there.
Yes, The EOS adapter is much tight now.
ZWO | Marketing Consultant
SuZhou China

motto:
Don't face one's fate, can't be a real man;
Don't know manners, can't be gentle;
Don't know meaning behind the words, can't understand man's heart.

another_mikey

Post by another_mikey » Fri May 18, 2018 8:24 pm

Sean,

Ok thanks. Based on your comments, I have ordered a second EOS EFW compatible lens adapter, with the expectation that it sill not be loose like the 1st one. Additionally, I have also ordered the upgraded 78mm camera mounting ring as well. Thanks for the help. I will let you know if this does not seem to fix my problem.

ML

Sean.Wang

Post by Sean.Wang » Mon May 21, 2018 3:07 pm

You are welcome, ML. Have a good day!
SuZhou China

motto:

another_mikey

Post by another_mikey » Wed May 30, 2018 1:18 am

Sean,

My shipment of my EOS EFW lens adapter and new mounting ring came in Friday, I just received them today as I was out on company travel Friday. Unfortunately the new EOS EFW lens adapter is now MUCH too tight. It is impossible to mate it to a lens now - it is so tight it can barely rotate at all and then gets so tight it is stuck and almost cannot me removed. It has no way to rotate far enough to let the pin engage.

I have now bought 2 of these, one is very loose and the new one is impossibly tight. I have checked on multiple lenses (which all mate perfectly to either of my 2 Canon DSLRs) and I have the same problem with this new adapter on all 3 of my lenses.

I noticed that the alignment dot on the new adapter is white instead of red - since it seems to align up initially I am thinking this cannot be the wrong type of adapter but thought I would check. I am going to very dark skies for a week of imaging with my ASI1600 starting 10 June. Is there any chance that someone can help me to understand and solve this problem and potentially send me a non-defective adapter before I have to leave? I don't feel good about having to potentially pay for a 3rd one of these, especially with the issues I have seen so far. I LOVE my camera and filter wheel, and ZWO service so far has been excellent. Hoping someone can help me out. If someone needs to contact me directly I can pass on my email (although probably captured under my user profile I think...)

Thanks for any assistance,

Mike L.

Longmont, CO USA

Sean.Wang

Post by Sean.Wang » Thu May 31, 2018 12:03 pm

another_mikey wrote:Sean,

My shipment of my EOS EFW lens adapter and new mounting ring came in Friday, I just received them today as I was out on company travel Friday. Unfortunately the new EOS EFW lens adapter is now MUCH too tight. It is impossible to mate it to a lens now - it is so tight it can barely rotate at all and then gets so tight it is stuck and almost cannot me removed. It has no way to rotate far enough to let the pin engage.

I have now bought 2 of these, one is very loose and the new one is impossibly tight. I have checked on multiple lenses (which all mate perfectly to either of my 2 Canon DSLRs) and I have the same problem with this new adapter on all 3 of my lenses.

I noticed that the alignment dot on the new adapter is white instead of red - since it seems to align up initially I am thinking this cannot be the wrong type of adapter but thought I would check. I am going to very dark skies for a week of imaging with my ASI1600 starting 10 June. Is there any chance that someone can help me to understand and solve this problem and potentially send me a non-defective adapter before I have to leave? I don't feel good about having to potentially pay for a 3rd one of these, especially with the issues I have seen so far. I LOVE my camera and filter wheel, and ZWO service so far has been excellent. Hoping someone can help me out. If someone needs to contact me directly I can pass on my email (although probably captured under my user profile I think...)

Thanks for any assistance,

Mike L.

Longmont, CO USA
Hi Mike
I'm sorry about this. I got a way maybe helpful to make it work.
Attachments
EOS adapter.png
SuZhou China

motto:

another_mikey

Post by another_mikey » Thu May 31, 2018 7:26 pm

It seems like the fit is currently so tight that it may be more than just the spring force, but I will try to see if I can flatten those springs out a little bit and see if that might help.

I will let you know how it goes.

ML

another_mikey

Post by another_mikey » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:10 am

Sean,

I looked again at my adapter. The springs are actual quite flat. In addition, the springs are not the issue because the adapter binds up well before the springs are even engaged by the lens. The difference I see between my 2 adapters that seems significant is that the flanges on the new adapter are significantly thicker than on the old adapter. Interestingly, the old adapter (which is loose when mated) already has the springs quite extended.

New adapter, camera side (camera thread adapter removed) showing spring very flat, this is super tight before spring even engages
NewAdapter_CameraSide.jpg
New adapter, camera side (camera thread adapter removed) showing spring very flat, this is super tight before spring even engages
Old adapter, camera side (camera thread adapter removed) showing spring extended, this is still loose
OldAdapter_CameraSide.jpg
Old adapter, camera side (camera thread adapter removed) showing spring extended, this is still loose

There is no way I can see that the new adapter could have ever worked. perhaps it has a manufacturing defect or tolerance issue?

Any way to get a good one sent out quick before my trip? I will gladly mail the defective new one back in exchange, but not enough time to wait for you to receive it. Even if you cannot send another before you get mine I would still like to exchange the new bad one, or at the very least get my money back, as it is completely unusable as is.

Thanks bunches,

ML

another_mikey

Post by another_mikey » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:12 am

Additional images from the lens side:
NewAdapter_LensSide.jpg
New adapter, lens side, showing white alignment dot and thicker flange
OldAdapter_LensSide.jpg
Old adapter, lens side, showing red alignment dot and thinner flange

Sean.Wang

Post by Sean.Wang » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:31 am

tolerance issue, new adapter is much tight than before, we tested with two Canon lens before sell them, but looks like some lens use that adpater still too much tight.
We can give you replacement. dealer will help you switch them.
SuZhou China

motto: