How does ADC work with IR Filter?

Focusers, Filters, Barlows etc..

Moderator: Sam

Seldom

How does ADC work with IR Filter?

Post by Seldom » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:36 pm

I'd like to set up my flip mirror with A ZWO ADC permanently attached and just set it at the neutral position when my targets are high enough. I'm using an ASI1600MMC and an EFW filter wheel. I'm imaging with FireCapture.

On my last planetary session I could only get a decent image of Mars in IR, and that happened without the ADC in place. Will an ADC set to visible light settings improve an IR image?

Second question re. the bubble level. If I'm using the ADC on a dobsonian horizontal in the eyepiece will not be the same as horizontal relative to the ground and the bubble level won't center. Is it OK to set the white nylon screw so that the bubble centers but the nylon screw is off from the null position?

This is the image I captured without an ADC.
2018-08-08-0510_4-IR4273.jpg

riklaunim

Re: How does ADC work with IR Filter?

Post by riklaunim » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:07 pm

Depending on aperture the planet would have to be straight up, 90 deg above horizon for your setup to not record dispersion on an L channel. With IR longpass channel it will be vastly smaller but still it will be there unless the object is extremely high over horizon.

Support@ZWO

Re: How does ADC work with IR Filter?

Post by Support@ZWO » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:48 am

Usually we adjust ADC according visible light, also the result is not best for IR channel, but good enough. It's my experience.
If the bubble can't balance, maybe you need to rotate the ADC with camera and filter wheel together to find a balance angle.
Or you can ignore the balance, in Firecapture there is a ADC adjustment function, you can use that to judge the chromatic dispersion.
Suzhou China