EAF Temperature Probe

Focusers, Filters, Barlows etc..

Moderator: Sam

CraigG

EAF Temperature Probe

Post by CraigG » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:58 am

Hello!

I received an EAF advanced kit as a Christmas gift and I'm very pleased with it's ease of installation and operation on my Stellarvue SV70T. I'm currently controlling it with the SharpCap imaging program via ASCOM. I was wondering if there are any image acquisition programs that you know of that currently use the temperature probe data to maintain focus automatically during an imaging session?

Thank you!

Craig

Support1@ZWO

Re: EAF Temperature Probe

Post by Support1@ZWO » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:20 am

Hi Craig,
Sorry I do not know you may ask others.

CraigG

Post by CraigG » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:23 pm

Thanks Katherine...I have a follow up question for you. I'm so pleased with how the EAF is working on my Stellarvue SV70T that I want to buy another one to attach to my Stellarvue SV105. It has a Feather Touch focuser by Starlight Instruments and I was wondering if you can confirm that the EAF will fit that focuser? The FT focuser was made around 2009.

Picture attached...thanks!

CraigG
Attachments
Image8505636067434625835.jpg

Support1@ZWO

Post by Support1@ZWO » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:57 am

Could you remove the screws on the focuser and fix the EAF adapter to the focuser with another screw?
Attachments
focuser.png

CraigG

Post by CraigG » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:12 am

Yes, these screws are removable. I just wanted to know if the EAF mounting bracket has the proper hole spacing and shape to conform to this focuser. Thanks!
-Craig

Support1@ZWO

Post by Support1@ZWO » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:53 pm

CraigG wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:12 am
Yes, these screws are removable. I just wanted to know if the EAF mounting bracket has the proper hole spacing and shape to conform to this focuser. Thanks!
-Craig
You can refer to the mechanical drawing on this page to confirm the space.

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/zwo-eaf

CraigG

Post by CraigG » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:10 am

Hello all!

I would like to revisit this topic as I'm still unsure as to how to put the EAF temperature probe to good use. Lacking written instructions and useful answers on this forum so far, I would welcome anyone's input on its actual use! My basic questions are:

1) Does the probe need a separate software program to automatically adjust the focus during image acquisition or is the native driver enough?

2) If it does require a program, which ones will work? I do not use ZWO cameras...Atik Horizons are my current kit. I do use SharpCap, Atik Dusk, and APT.

3) How does the probe work with a program?..please be specific. ZWO does a good job explaining the basic setup of the focuser in various astronomy programs but not for the use of the temperature probe.

Please feel free to jump in on this subject if you have anything to share! I would also ask the forum moderators to carefully read my questions and consider providing detailed responses that answer those questions. I'm happy to clarify anything that will help you in responding...just ask! Your responses will have an impact on my decision to purchase other products from you in the future!

Thank you..
Craig

Moson

Post by Moson » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:56 am

Sorry the focus adjust by the EAF is still need manually. Maybe other software program could adjust the focus automatically during image acquisition.
EAF supports ASCOM driver, all the software use ASCOM can control EAF. But sorry we don't know what software and how it control EAF that you used.You could check the instructions of the software.

CraigG

Post by CraigG » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:14 pm

Hi Moson

Ok, then let's back up a bit. What was ZWOs purpose in offering a temperature probe? Is it merely to provide a current temperature reading via the ASCOM driver? What are you envisioning that the customer will use it for when you offer it as an option for the EAF?

Thank you..
-Craig

Moson

Post by Moson » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:13 am

I'm sorry I didn't explain it clearly.

You could use this temperature probe through other software to adjust the focus automatically.