stripped threads manual filter wheel

Focusers, Filters, Barlows etc..

Moderators: Sam, Sean.Wang

stubblejumper

stripped threads manual filter wheel

Post by stubblejumper » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:24 pm

After my iOptron CEM25 did a meridian flip, my ASI1600MM Pro became very loosely attached to my ZWO manual filter wheel. The camera cannot be tightened to the MFW. Although I place my cables such that they should not impede a flip, perhaps they caused tension and something went awry. The camera will screw properly into the 11mm extension provided as well as others, and an adapter will tighten with the MFW, the 1600 will not. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can attach them securely together although not permanently? The filter wheel is the very best option for me for narrow band imaging. Right now I am limited to using the 1.25" filter adapter in the 11mm extension.

stubblejumper

Re: stripped threads manual filter wheel

Post by stubblejumper » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:55 am

I solved the problem.

Lurking in the back of my mind was something that I noted in passing. Its importance didn't strike my frontal lobes until today. The male M42 nose of the Z1600 has threads but then a gap of 1-1.5mm without threads before it reaches the face of the camera body. It occurred to me that what was happening is that, as the threads on both the camera and MFW wore down a bit, the camera's nose eventually screwed through the wall of the MFW to the point where the thinner wall eventually was opposite zero threads. It also answered a question as to why other adapters screwed in properly. A couple of thin plastic/paper flat rings for M42 diameter stops the camera from screwing in too deeply.

Sean.Wang

Post by Sean.Wang » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:49 am

stubblejumper wrote:I solved the problem.

Lurking in the back of my mind was something that I noted in passing. Its importance didn't strike my frontal lobes until today. The male M42 nose of the Z1600 has threads but then a gap of 1-1.5mm without threads before it reaches the face of the camera body. It occurred to me that what was happening is that, as the threads on both the camera and MFW wore down a bit, the camera's nose eventually screwed through the wall of the MFW to the point where the thinner wall eventually was opposite zero threads. It also answered a question as to why other adapters screwed in properly. A couple of thin plastic/paper flat rings for M42 diameter stops the camera from screwing in too deeply.
Oh, the filter was stucked when rotate the filter wheel.
ZWO | Marketing Consultant
SuZhou China

motto:
Don't face one's fate, can't be a real man;
Don't know manners, can't be gentle;
Don't know meaning behind the words, can't understand man's heart.

daniellee

Post by daniellee » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:37 am

The Threads on both the camera and MFW wore down a bit but The camera will screw properly into the 11mm extension provided as well as others. Thanks