stripped threads manual filter wheel

Focusers, Filters, Barlows etc..

Moderators: Sam, Sean.Wang

stubblejumper

stripped threads manual filter wheel

Post by stubblejumper » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:24 pm

After my iOptron CEM25 did a meridian flip, my ASI1600MM Pro became very loosely attached to my ZWO manual filter wheel. The camera cannot be tightened to the MFW. Although I place my cables such that they should not impede a flip, perhaps they caused tension and something went awry. The camera will screw properly into the 11mm extension provided as well as others, and an adapter will tighten with the MFW, the 1600 will not. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can attach them securely together although not permanently? The filter wheel is the very best option for me for narrow band imaging. Right now I am limited to using the 1.25" filter adapter in the 11mm extension.

stubblejumper

Re: stripped threads manual filter wheel

Post by stubblejumper » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:55 am

I solved the problem.

Lurking in the back of my mind was something that I noted in passing. Its importance didn't strike my frontal lobes until today. The male M42 nose of the Z1600 has threads but then a gap of 1-1.5mm without threads before it reaches the face of the camera body. It occurred to me that what was happening is that, as the threads on both the camera and MFW wore down a bit, the camera's nose eventually screwed through the wall of the MFW to the point where the thinner wall eventually was opposite zero threads. It also answered a question as to why other adapters screwed in properly. A couple of thin plastic/paper flat rings for M42 diameter stops the camera from screwing in too deeply.

daniellee

Post by daniellee » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:37 am

The Threads on both the camera and MFW wore down a bit but The camera will screw properly into the 11mm extension provided as well as others. Thanks

Sean.Wang

Post by Sean.Wang » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:45 am

That's great。
ZWO | Marketing Consultant
SuZhou China

motto:
Don't face one's fate, can't be a real man;
Don't know manners, can't be gentle;
Don't know meaning behind the words, can't understand man's heart.

stubblejumper

Post by stubblejumper » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:37 am

I now have the same problem with my ASI1600 screwing into an EFW. Yet the camera screws properly into the 11mm extension, other extensions and adapters. Last summer I had an accident when an RC6 came loose and flipped out of the dovetail saddle sideways when it hit the bolt that was supposed to prevent the scope sliding down through the dovetail saddle. The camera was slightly damaged externally but works fine. Maybe it had some effect on the threads. But, if so, why wouldn''t that problem show up when connecting to other accesories?

I wonder if I could use something like plumbers tape to make the connection more solid.

Don

Sean.Wang

Post by Sean.Wang » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:05 am

Could you make sure was the camera thread has damaged or the EFW thread?
I think if the camera works well with other accessories, might EFW threads has damaged.
SuZhou China

motto:

stubblejumper

Post by stubblejumper » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:20 am

I tested at least 6 M42 male adapters with both sides of the EFW. They all worked fine, except for the Nikon-M42 doesn't screw in properly on one side but had no problem on the other side. The ASI1600mm Pro screws properly into one side of the EFW but doesn't even touch the threads of the other female port, the same one that the Nikon-M42 doesn't like. The ASI1600 screwed properly into more than a half dozen female M42 adapters. I can only conclude that the EFW ports are not the exact same dimensions.

Unfortunately for me, if I use the EFW port that the ASI1600 screws in properly, that puts the Nikon-M42 adapter into a port that it doesn't screw into hardly at all, i.e., they both only work with the same port.

I ran the same tests for my ZWO MFW. The ASI1600 did not screw in tightly on one side but was fine with the other side. An M42 21mm extension worked on the same side the ASI1600 did and didn't tighten properly on the side that the ASI1600 had problems with. Everything else worked fine.

This means that I am unable to use my ASI1600 with a Nikkor lens (I have two) and an EFW. If I carefully select which side, I can get a Nikkor lens to work with the MFW and ASI11600.

I am concerned about ZWO quality control based on what I am seeing.

Don

Sean.Wang

Post by Sean.Wang » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:17 am

stubblejumper wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:20 am
I tested at least 6 M42 male adapters with both sides of the EFW. They all worked fine, except for the Nikon-M42 doesn't screw in properly on one side but had no problem on the other side. The ASI1600mm Pro screws properly into one side of the EFW but doesn't even touch the threads of the other female port, the same one that the Nikon-M42 doesn't like. The ASI1600 screwed properly into more than a half dozen female M42 adapters. I can only conclude that the EFW ports are not the exact same dimensions.

Unfortunately for me, if I use the EFW port that the ASI1600 screws in properly, that puts the Nikon-M42 adapter into a port that it doesn't screw into hardly at all, i.e., they both only work with the same port.

I ran the same tests for my ZWO MFW. The ASI1600 did not screw in tightly on one side but was fine with the other side. An M42 21mm extension worked on the same side the ASI1600 did and didn't tighten properly on the side that the ASI1600 had problems with. Everything else worked fine.

This means that I am unable to use my ASI1600 with a Nikkor lens (I have two) and an EFW. If I carefully select which side, I can get a Nikkor lens to work with the MFW and ASI11600.

I am concerned about ZWO quality control based on what I am seeing.

Don
It is looks like a problem of Nikon-M42 adapter. We will try to connect it with EFW on our side.
SuZhou China

motto: