Can I Upgrade The Storage Space On ASIAIR?

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: yang, Sam, lancer jiang, Ji.zwo

RSpannagel2

Can I Upgrade The Storage Space On ASIAIR?

Post by RSpannagel2 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:57 pm

Just noticing that the ASIAir only has a 32GB capacity & was wondering if I got a larger SD Card if I can save more images? In astrophotography drive space disappears fast & it would be nice to have sound mind knowing you have lots of drive space & can image for hours rather than having to constantly swap SD Card to take images off ASIAIR. Thank you for your time & efforts...

Hilbily

Re: Can I Upgrade The Storage Space On ASIAIR?

Post by Hilbily » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:52 pm

No, buy another SD card the same as the SD card it came with, copy the image file to it, then switch cards if you fill one up.

JayS_CT

Post by JayS_CT » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Is it not possible to format another Micro SD card of larger capacity and copy/clone boot files over to it? Is there a physical limitation to what the ASIAir software can address? On other Rasberry Pi computers I've built I've used 64 GB Micros SDs without issue.

Jay S.

HDastro

Post by HDastro » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:55 pm

Using a larger card is possible as it is often done with Raspberry Pi's however, an image file takes the same size of the partition it is copying.....32 to 32 gigs for example. It copies bit per bit, track per track. To achieve using a larger SD card and size, you have to expand the partition once the img file has been copied to the new SD card. Now, how will ASIair run after is a question for ZWO to answer but my RP2 has been running a few years now with an expanded SD card with no issues.

I used the internal Mac software to expand once the img was copied. I read Win 10 possibly has a software called Disk Management ready to use which can expand partitions as well.

Since the Asiair is locked, you cannot use Raspiconfig to expand or any other Linux command like "dd".

Hope this helps