Post by arturo1961 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:35 am

Italy
TAB10 Samsung + Galaxy note8
IOption CEM25 p
ASI183MM Pro Guiding AIS120mini
EFW Mini
Guiding & Imaging works great, no problem
I have proble with plate solving.
I have a 70 / 420mm apo and I use an ASI183mm. I set the focal length correctly (which I checked for security with another software on an image taken). I tried to shoot as recommended in the manual, trying with shots from 1 second, 2 seconds, 5 seconds, 30 seconds in bin 4 bin2 bin3 bin1 but does not solve the image, it signals to me once that there are few stars (but it finds even more than 1000, the minimum value of stars that I had er of 600, or to control the focal length, but the focal is correct, how can I solve it?

mysolarsystem

Re: ASIAIR User Feedback

Post by mysolarsystem » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:43 am

fusiscaesar wrote:Hi,

Reived my ASIAIR yesterday. Got it working in minutes with my setup (ASI224,ASI385,SW AZ-GTi mount). Great product!
Hello. It is possible to do astrophotography with “skywatcher az-gti “ (in equatorial mode) and autoguiding with asiair? Or its better to buy skyadventures or ioptron skyguider pro?
I need a portable go-to mount for astrophoto and visual, my telescope is tak fs60cb (255mm focus)

joecheng

Post by joecheng » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:13 pm

USA
IPAD
Celestron CGX
ASI1600mm-pro (main) + ASI290mm (guider)
ZWO EFW

two features that would improve the usability.
1) Ability to show a cross hair during the preview mode for alignments.
2) Ability to zoom further during the focus routine. While the charts are helpful sometimes there is not enough magnification to use a bahtinov mask easily.

I am having some difficulties with the platesolve and then syncing the mount. With the CGX i do not seem to be able to sync the mount with the platesolve. starting with a fresh boot, successful platesolve, and then sync does not update skysafari 5 pro or 6 pro which points to 0° and 24hrs. Only until performing the mount alignment through the hand controller does any real value appear. Otherwise goto and mount slew through ASIair and skysafari work well.

Sam

Post by Sam » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:27 am

mysolarsystem wrote:
fusiscaesar wrote:Hi,

Reived my ASIAIR yesterday. Got it working in minutes with my setup (ASI224,ASI385,SW AZ-GTi mount). Great product!
Hello. It is possible to do astrophotography with “skywatcher az-gti “ (in equatorial mode) and autoguiding with asiair? Or its better to buy skyadventures or ioptron skyguider pro?
I need a portable go-to mount for astrophoto and visual, my telescope is tak fs60cb (255mm focus)
AZ-GTi will be supported soon
currently you need hand controller of syncscan
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ASIAIR/ ... 928020795/
ZWO Founder
SuZhou China

Sam

Post by Sam » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:29 am

joecheng wrote:USA
IPAD
Celestron CGX
ASI1600mm-pro (main) + ASI290mm (guider)
ZWO EFW

two features that would improve the usability.
1) Ability to show a cross hair during the preview mode for alignments.
2) Ability to zoom further during the focus routine. While the charts are helpful sometimes there is not enough magnification to use a bahtinov mask easily.

I am having some difficulties with the platesolve and then syncing the mount. With the CGX i do not seem to be able to sync the mount with the platesolve. starting with a fresh boot, successful platesolve, and then sync does not update skysafari 5 pro or 6 pro which points to 0° and 24hrs. Only until performing the mount alignment through the hand controller does any real value appear. Otherwise goto and mount slew through ASIair and skysafari work well.
I think all celestron mount need to do 3 star alignment at first by hand controller
ZWO Founder
SuZhou China

hueypang

connection issues with Takahashi EM-11 Temma mount

Post by hueypang » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:53 pm

hi,

Hong Kong
Asus Zenfone (Android OS)
Takahashi EM-11 temma 2M
ASI 183MM, ASI290MC
EFW 7x36mm

Does anyone have connection problem with Takahashi EM-11? Cameras, filter wheel can be connected successfully except the mount. It said "failed: mount" when attempting connection.

I connect the USB-RS232 cable to ASIAIR directly, not via camera.

ondrej

Post by ondrej » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:17 am

your country: Czech Republic
your mobile device: iPhone 6S (iOS 12.1)
your mount: Sky-Watcher AZEQ6
your camera: ASI071MC, ASI120MM-Mini
your EFW: ZWO EFW

Yesterday I had a chance to briefly test the ASIAir 1.0.7 (before the arrival of the mist). New features look good but I have noticed several problems described below. Please note that I am not sure that the mount's firmware has been updated to the latest version so part of the problems might be caused by that. I will try to update the firmware tonight but I am not sure when the weather will allow me to perform the next test.
Problems noticed:
- The mount (using selection SkyWatcher SynScan) is not found until I perform its alignment using the hand-control. This is not a big deal as there is a warning to make the alignment first anyway but I am not sure this is intended. In addtion, if the mount was just parked in an aligned state, alignment might not be necessary which would streamline the preparation for the night.
- Even after alignment performed, I had to try to switch on the mount in ASIAir several times until it found it (it twice responded 'failed', connected for the third time). Compared to the previous version of ASIAir, the mount needed not to be in the Utilities > PC Direct mode. Communication to SkySafari works without problems and the epoch problem has been corrected (Sky Safari should be set to current epoch now).
- In the mount settings screen (compare to the ASIAir manual, ver. 1.1, page 18) I do not have the guiding rate setting, the tracking switch and the GoTo Zero Position button. All three controls I severely miss as at some occasions I am unsure whether the mount is indeed tracking as well as there are big problems with guiding (see below) and to have information about how guiding speed is set would be very useful.
- It is for the first time that I tried to use guiding with ASIAir as my ASI120MM Mini arrived only in the last week so I cannot say whether the below described problems appeared in the previous version as well or whether they result from my ignorance:
- The guiding camera is found well and works correctly. I find it not so easy to focus it precisely (using 80/400 mm guiding scope) as the FWHD value jumps around due to obvious undersampling of the curve even though there seems to be enough pixels across the star image (using motofocus, so hand vibrations are not an issue). I had to increase the gain substantially however to find a suitable star, however.
- When I start calibration, the mount asks to change the mount movement speed to rate 1x which I confirmed. I would prefer, however, to guide at 0.5 of the sidereal rate as I always did in PHD2 but there is not such a choice neither in the mount settings nor in the guiding settings. This is strange
- The mount then performs west-east calibration but does not return to the origin probably due to backlash. The backlash compensation process however does not work - the mount does not move in the backlash compensation procedure (looks likes it is only tracking). It tries 60 steps and then ends in error or (if accidently close enough to the origin) it continues with DEC (north-south) calibration. I have never seen such behaviour with PHD2.
- Since the DEC calibration does not start in the origin, it is performed parallel to the crosshair line at a distance which results in strange angles warning after successful finish. The nudge procedure at the end of the DEC calibration however works correctly unlike the backlash compensation in the west-east axis.
- As a result, the calibration usually fails for me. If it succeeds (rarely), it works correctly though it uses very often corrections as if my polar alignment was off substantially which I believe it is not (checked with polar finder). In addition, it seems that the guiding in one of the axes is stabilized at +2" position of the plot which I find strange but it might have been an intention to better see the curves (compare the figure at page 20 of the ASIAir manual).
- I had connection prolems with my main camera, ASI071MCPro. The camera got lost at some stage and I had to power-off and restart ASIAir. Unplug and replug the camera from ASIAir did not help. Even though lost (the field with the camera type in the main camera settings screen is empty, the switch is off and cannot be switched on) the camera works (takes images) but its settings cannot be changed. Since the EFW wheel and guide camera are connected to the main camera hub, their settings are not accessible as well. This is a problem as when it happens during the sequence it requires going back to telescope and restart the ASIAir there. In addition, the intended filter change during the sequence has not been performed.
- There is a new switch in the main camera settings allowing to cycle taking images in the preview mode. This is a very useful feature when fine-tuning the image composition but I could not to switch it off when I wished to (the switvh appeared off buth the camera cycled anyway). I had to restart the ASIAir unit.

So, a bunch of problems that I would like to see solved as in the current state I find the new version (1.0.7) hard to use with my hardware. If the weather allows me, I will try to make sure that my mount's firmware is up-to-date and I will also try to return to the previous version to check that the guiding problems appeared in the new version only.

ondrej

Post by ondrej » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:45 pm

Just an update to previous post: Upgraded synscan and motors firmware ot latest versions and no change in behavior. The guiding rate setting, the tracking switch and the GoTo Zero Position button are still not present in the mount settings. Why is this happening?

scott1244

Post by scott1244 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:46 am

Excellent post above.

I have the exact same guiding issues as the poster above. Sometimes (30% of the time) it finds a star and immediately starts guiding (without calibrating), however, most other times it will try to calibrate and finish with an error message and nothing I do will get guiding to work. This is the most frustrating feature of the app so far.

Plate solving works excellent in partnership with SkySafari Pro! That is my favorite feature of the app.

Image capturing works very well. Image review is needed. I would like the ability to go back thru images and delete or otherwise mark as bad, any images that have star trails, satellites, airplanes, etc.

Current File Management can be disastrous. The DELETE ALL button is dangerously close to the small check boxes and is in the exact same spot and the normal DELETE button. If I want to delete just one or two files, I check the boxes and then I tap the DELETE button, it may hesitate a moment or two and appear not to have worked (the filenames do not disappear, they just show file size as 0), then I tap DELETE again only to notice it changed to DELETE ALL and instantly 4 hours worth of images are deleted. Please separate the 2 buttons (DELETE - DELETE ALL) and add an "Are you SURE you want to DELETE ALL FILES?" confirmation box.

I think integration of the Polemaster polar alignment routine is vital. So many of us are moving to that as our method of PA, please add it to the future need list. It is the only thing I need my laptop for any longer. Even if ASIair is the best thing out here, if I still need my laptop for Polemaster, I'm more likely to just revert to the laptop and use SGP, PhD, etc. I shouldn't need two different systems to operate my rig.

Thanks,
Scott

USA
Celestron AVX
ES ED102
ASI1600MC PRO COOL main camera
ASI120mm Guide Camera
Celestron OAG
iPad

ondrej

Post by ondrej » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:17 pm

A follow-up to my previous posts:
I continue my testing of v.1.0.7, in fact, it seems that there is hard work by ZWO going on on the 1.0.7 version and that it was updated already several times during the testing period and some of the drawbacks have been solved. Good work, ZWO guys!

In my previous posts I complained about imperfect support of the Synscan mounts (this is the only one I can test, I use Sky Watcher AZEQ6 in EQ mode). Unlike some other mounts, here we do not have the option to set the guiding rate or to return the mount to the home position (or park anywhere else), or to have tracking/tracking speed under direct control, it seems that the mount always uses 1x sidereal rate for guiding. I find this strange as I used to use my mount under Ekos that also uses the INDI library and had full support without problems. I hope the support of Synscan mounts is something that ZWO will continue to work on.

But there are positive developments already now. Guiding calibration has been improved compared to my previous posts and the calibration procedure does not regularly fail anymore. The backlash compensation is not perfect in the east-west axis which results in non-orthogonal axes of mount calibration model (ASIAir issues warning) but since the angle was in my case always pretty close to 90 degrees it is not a big deal. However, the mount still uses 1x sidereal rate for tracking which seems too much for me (800 mm focus length at the main camera, 400 mm at the guider) and results in mean error of the guiding of 1.0"-1.5" in no wind (small wind easily doubles that). A possible (imperfect) workaround that I successfully tried this night was to make all the alignment and settings with the Synscan driver using image solving and syncing with SkySafari and once the composition of the image was ready I switched the mount driver to "On camera ST4", calibrated guiding and started capture. ST4 works much better than Skywatcher Synscan for guiding and easily got my mean error of guiding deep below 1". I am not sure whether to change mount drivers on the fly is a safe procedure so if yould like to try do it at your own risk but for me it is a current way how ot live with limitations that ASIAir has with Synscan. Still, I hope that this will be improved.

I have yet to try my mount with EQdirect cable (EQmod driver) but I doubt that ASIAir is currently capable to completely replace the hand control.

There is a couple of things that I still miss in ASIAir, some of them are a necessity for me for ASIAir to become really the main tool for my astrophotography. I am already convinced that ZWO is listening to our feedback so I hope for improvements.
Must have features (at least for me):
- For Synscan mounts: a possibility to stop mount after performing an autorun sequence or return to home/predefined position. This is absolute necessity that would allow me to plan the end of the session for the period I already sleep, otherwise I would risk the safety of the mount. There is a checkbox to opt for going to home position in autorun sequence configuration, this alas does not work for Synscan mounts.
- For Synscan mounts: Tracking control.
- Mount movement control in the guiding screen (preset for low speed) - would help immensely to find a suitable guiding star or move it more to the center of the field when too close to the edge.

Would be nice to have (but probably nontrivial):
- Mount flip management.
- A routine: (i) goto (ii) plate-solving (iii) mount-sync (iv) re-goto (v) guiding calibration; possibly with reiteration of steps (ii-iv) until predefined precision is reached. If this could be automated and become part of the autorun slots, it would open doors to multi-object autorun photography per single night. This is very useful, e.g., when one wants to photograph an object that sets after midnight and continue with another object until the morning, or start with a narrowband capture and continue with broadband when the Moon sets, etc. It would also help mount flipping.
- Focusing support and automated focusing routine that could become part of the autorun slots.
- Transfer the angle of orientation and possibly mirroring of the image resulting from plate-solving in the ASIAir and use it to set SkySafari accordingly (I have no idea whether it is possible, but would be of great use).
- Would be nice to have in the Choose object list also a list of brightest stars - they are very helpful for alignment and focusing. If ASIAir wants to replace the moutn hand controls one day - this is needed.

That's what comes to my mind after last night. More tests to come...
I like ASIAir more and more and hope to it will evolve to be even better. Thanks ZWO for listening to us.