ASIAIR User Feedback

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: Sam, Tech@ZWO, ASIAIR@ZWO

gammerpc
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:27 pm
Location: Colorado Denver Metro

Re: ASIAIR User Feedback

Post by gammerpc » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:11 pm

Ji.zwo wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:28 am
gammerpc wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:07 am
ASIAIR Pro
So far it is Working Great.
The only Wish List I would like to see is to add the Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro EQ Mount's USB Port on the Mount Support.
This way you do not need to connect it to the Hand Controller and have it connected with another cable.
Still I really wish I could just use my Windows 10 Laptop and not have to use my iPad.

Hardware:
Sky-Watcher EQ6-R EQ Mount + QHY PoleMaster EQ Mount Polar Alignment + William Optics Zenithstar 103 APO & WO Flat6AIII + Slide-base UniGuide 50mm + ZWO ASI174MM Mini Monochrome Guide Camera and with a ZWO EAF
Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO FCD100 ED Triplet Refractor + ES 3" Field Flattener/0.7x Focal Reducer + Slide-base UniGuide 50mm + ZWO ASI174MM Mini Monochrome Guide Camera and with a ZWO EAF
Camera ZWO ASI183GT Camera ZWO LRGB Filter Set - 31mm Unmounted - LRGB-31 + ZWO 31 mm H-alpha & OIII Filter

Not Tested.....
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 PMC-Eight Equatorial GoTo Mount System + DSLR EOS Rebel T6i + ZWO 30 mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope + ZWO ASI290MM Mini Monochrome Guide Camera
Hello gammerpc, the Sky-Watcher EQ6-R EQ mount, if you use the EQDir cable as you said, you can select EQMod or EQMod with SkySafari in the ASIAIR App, then you can control your mount.
I do not have a EQDir cable but I do have this Cable "Skywatcher Telescope Control Cable FTDI USB to RJ45 Serial Converter Cable EQ6-R AZEQ6 AZEQ5" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HL2Z741/ will it also work?
Not sure what you mean "SkySafari in the ASIAIR App" is this for Windows 10?
I can only find SkySafari for Apple iPod/iPhone and other Smart Phones but not for Windows 10.
Using "EQMod" under Windows 10 can also control the Cameras and Guiding under Windows 10 or Only the Mount?

Using this Cable Skywatcher Telescope Control Cable FTDI USB to RJ45 Serial Converter Cable EQ6-R AZEQ6 AZEQ5 and selecting EQMod Mount in in ASIAIR App did work on my iPhone, Thank you for this info.

User avatar
ASIAIR@ZWO
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 3:29 am

Re: ASIAIR User Feedback

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:59 am

gammerpc wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:11 pm
Ji.zwo wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:28 am
gammerpc wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:07 am
ASIAIR Pro
So far it is Working Great.
The only Wish List I would like to see is to add the Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro EQ Mount's USB Port on the Mount Support.
This way you do not need to connect it to the Hand Controller and have it connected with another cable.
Still I really wish I could just use my Windows 10 Laptop and not have to use my iPad.

Hardware:
Sky-Watcher EQ6-R EQ Mount + QHY PoleMaster EQ Mount Polar Alignment + William Optics Zenithstar 103 APO & WO Flat6AIII + Slide-base UniGuide 50mm + ZWO ASI174MM Mini Monochrome Guide Camera and with a ZWO EAF
Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO FCD100 ED Triplet Refractor + ES 3" Field Flattener/0.7x Focal Reducer + Slide-base UniGuide 50mm + ZWO ASI174MM Mini Monochrome Guide Camera and with a ZWO EAF
Camera ZWO ASI183GT Camera ZWO LRGB Filter Set - 31mm Unmounted - LRGB-31 + ZWO 31 mm H-alpha & OIII Filter

Not Tested.....
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 PMC-Eight Equatorial GoTo Mount System + DSLR EOS Rebel T6i + ZWO 30 mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope + ZWO ASI290MM Mini Monochrome Guide Camera
Hello gammerpc, the Sky-Watcher EQ6-R EQ mount, if you use the EQDir cable as you said, you can select EQMod or EQMod with SkySafari in the ASIAIR App, then you can control your mount.
I do not have a EQDir cable but I do have this Cable "Skywatcher Telescope Control Cable FTDI USB to RJ45 Serial Converter Cable EQ6-R AZEQ6 AZEQ5" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HL2Z741/ will it also work?
Not sure what you mean "SkySafari in the ASIAIR App" is this for Windows 10?
I can only find SkySafari for Apple iPod/iPhone and other Smart Phones but not for Windows 10.
Using "EQMod" under Windows 10 can also control the Cameras and Guiding under Windows 10 or Only the Mount?

Using this Cable Skywatcher Telescope Control Cable FTDI USB to RJ45 Serial Converter Cable EQ6-R AZEQ6 AZEQ5 and selecting EQMod Mount in in ASIAIR App did work on my iPhone, Thank you for this info.
#1 FTDI USB to RJ45 Serial Converter Cable is okay when you choose the SynScan driver, but you said while choosing EQMod it works too, so you must set the HC into PC Direct Mode, right?
#2 EQMod with SkySafari is another driver that supports using SkySafari while connecting the mount to ASIAIR through EQDir cable.
#3
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Location:lon=120.6 lat=31.3
Suzhou China

mchast
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Re: ASIAIR User Feedback

Post by mchast » Wed May 13, 2020 2:57 pm

matcky wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:45 am
Hi ZWO,

Wish you all well.

My ASIAIR pro was received yesterday, although it is good looking and with a lot of new features, something disappointed to me. As there has a DSRL shutter Release port, I expected it can be used as a wired shutter so that the unsupported DSRL can took image too. However this expectation failure.

Since many camera is still unsupported by ASIAIR, would you please make use of the shutter release port to control those camera for shooting, we will be benefit from the auto guide and dithering. Of course, I hope that EOS Ra will be on your supported list very soon.

Matthew
Hong Kong
Iphone and Ipad
DIY Harmonic Drive Mount
ASI071MC and EOS Ra
ASI EFW

I also think this is an important feature to add. (I use a fujifilm x-t30) I already had the 2.5mm shutter cable but can't use it and I was hoping to be able to make use of dithering.

Is it also possible to add a dither now button in the guiding somewhere? Then I can take an exposure and tell the Pro to run a dithering operation, take another exposure...I would rather be able to trigger the shutter and automate things but this could help too.

Thanks!

-Mark
Ohio
iPad
FujiFilm X-T30
ASI290mm-mini
iOptron CEM40

BobW55
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:22 pm

LIVE STACK

Post by BobW55 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:57 am

When using live stack.
I know I have to make Flats for each filter I have.
Do I also have to make Darks and Bias for each filter?
I know normally you do not worry about filters when shooting Darks and Bias, but since Live Stack adds the filter # in the file name, does it also look for the filter when selecting Darks and Bias????

stubblejumper
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:01 am

Can ASIair Pro power ASI1600MM Pro cooler?

Post by stubblejumper » Sun May 17, 2020 6:03 am

I won't be able to start using it till my sciatica goes away. But I am setting it up so I can be ready to go with minimal setup issues.

I can power the cooler on my ASI1600 from Li batteries or the heavy cable and power converter which came with the camera. I will be using AC power for the ASIair Pro via a female 5.8A 12vDC car adapter converter and a male car adapter to barrel connecter.

My question is this. If I can deliver 5.8A to the ASIair, can I use one of the DC output ports to run the ASI1600's cooler?

Don

Surrey BC Canada
ASI1600MM Pro
EAF
EFW
iOptron CEM25P mount
AT65EDQ scope
ASI290 guide camera
ZWO mini guide scope

Dido30
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: ASIAIR User Feedback

Post by Dido30 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:27 pm

I have purchased ASIair Pro.
My questions are:

Can the ASIair Pro working with 13.50 V AC when the battery is full?.

It possible to conec in the 12V 2A outputs of the ASIair Pro the Skywatcher mount AZ-EQ6 (4A) , the peltier cooler ASI 1600 (3A) , the ASI EAF, to do Astrophotography?

User avatar
ASIAIR@ZWO
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 3:29 am

Re: LIVE STACK

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:42 am

BobW55 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:57 am
When using live stack.
I know I have to make Flats for each filter I have.
Do I also have to make Darks and Bias for each filter?
I know normally you do not worry about filters when shooting Darks and Bias, but since Live Stack adds the filter # in the file name, does it also look for the filter when selecting Darks and Bias????
Hey BobW55, for basic use, it does not need to make Darks or Bias for each filter. About the filename, it's only the filename, no more actions.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Location:lon=120.6 lat=31.3
Suzhou China

User avatar
ASIAIR@ZWO
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 3:29 am

Re: Can ASIair Pro power ASI1600MM Pro cooler?

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:43 am

stubblejumper wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:03 am
I won't be able to start using it till my sciatica goes away. But I am setting it up so I can be ready to go with minimal setup issues.

I can power the cooler on my ASI1600 from Li batteries or the heavy cable and power converter which came with the camera. I will be using AC power for the ASIair Pro via a female 5.8A 12vDC car adapter converter and a male car adapter to barrel connecter.

My question is this. If I can deliver 5.8A to the ASIair, can I use one of the DC output ports to run the ASI1600's cooler?

Don

Surrey BC Canada
ASI1600MM Pro
EAF
EFW
iOptron CEM25P mount
AT65EDQ scope
ASI290 guide camera
ZWO mini guide scope
Yes, the accepted power supply is 11-15V@2A-6A. Yours is ok. And yes, you can use the DC output for other devices.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Location:lon=120.6 lat=31.3
Suzhou China

User avatar
ASIAIR@ZWO
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 3:29 am

Re: ASIAIR User Feedback

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:47 am

Dido30 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:27 pm
I have purchased ASIair Pro.
My questions are:

Can the ASIair Pro working with 13.50 V AC when the battery is full?.

It possible to conec in the 12V 2A outputs of the ASIair Pro the Skywatcher mount AZ-EQ6 (4A) , the peltier cooler ASI 1600 (3A) , the ASI EAF, to do Astrophotography?
Can be used for the ASI camera, but for the AZ-EQ6, since it required 4A current, it may cause some issues. The output from ASIAIR PRO is only 3A max.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Location:lon=120.6 lat=31.3
Suzhou China

stubblejumper
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:01 am

Re: ASIAIR User Feedback

Post by stubblejumper » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:33 pm

First the good news. ASI Air Pro was terrific for selecting a target, GoTo the target, Plate Solve and centering the target. AutoRun ran perfectly. The bad news is that I could not Polar Align, Focus didn't display screens with indication of focus accuracy and couldn't setup guiding.

First the PA. it would not slew my iOptron CEM25P scope for 60 degrees (step 2). I had to revert to a laptop and PoleMaster for PA.

When I tried to focus, I had no indication about the accuracy of my focus. There were no popup screens. Since a ZWO EAF was present, did the focus become automatic or is this a problem?

When I tried to set up guiding, only one screen was displayed - RA/DEC tracking.

Does ZWO have any tutorials? I couldn't find any other than some by users on YouTube. Those show things I do not see when I try them.

Don

Canada
ASI Air Pro 1.44
ASI1600MM Pro
AT65EDQ scope
ASI290 mini guidecam
ZWO mini scope
EAF
iOptron CEM25P mount

Post Reply