backup sd card

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: Sam, Tech@ZWO, ASIAIR@ZWO

Jantje

Re: backup sd card

Post by Jantje » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:18 am

Ji.zwo wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:41 am
Doublegene wrote:Is there any recommended software tool for backup an image of the SD card if using MacOS ?
Will there be an update later, to run bigger SD cards like 64GB /128GB ...?
Thx a lot, BR Marco
Hi there,
Really nice to hear you are using the ASIAIR!
1. Yes, the ApplePi-Bakerhttps://www.tweaking4all.com/software/m ... -pi-baker/ is so good and we have been tested. It's very easy to use. :D
2. We still have no upgrading plan.

Best wishes.
There is a New version Now from Baker v2 - https://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/r ... -baker-v2/

astrosatch

Post by astrosatch » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:34 am

Hi!
When I received asiair pro I successfuly made backup of sd card. However when I tried to restore image on another sd card, it says it's smaller in byte size but gives me an option to continue anyway because there is mostly empty space on it. When completed I check sd card and it seems ok. When put in asiair pro and power it up, there is no beep and no wifi connection. It doesn't work obviously. If this new sd card (32gb) is smaller in size, how should I know which one should I buy to be good? Or should 64gb be safe (but expensive) option. Or is there any other option to make this work?
Thank you for help,
Andrej

asif

Post by asif » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:51 am

Hey

I had exactly the same issue: I was restoring to a sandisk 32GB and it was telling me there was not enough space on the new card; but I continued anyway, i then put the SD CARD back into the ASIAIR and it worked fine.

However, that got me thinking, why not use a 64GB card to restore (They're not too pricey).. The only caveat is that you will end up with approximately 32GB of space "unallocated" and wasted... However, we can re-claim this space and re-size the BOOT partition so we can store 55GB+ of images instead of the current allocation of approx 25GB.

I installed VMWARE on my windows 10; installed GPARTED LIVE ISO onto the VMWARE and then mounted the SD CARD and moved / resized the partitions..

I know have a fully working 64GB SD CARD in my ASIRAIR and My boot partition now has 58GB available for storage.