Post by Support@ZWO » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:55 am

zl4plm wrote:great Sam!

pre ordered and waiting for testing :)
Thank you for join testing!
Suzhou China

Aldures

Re: ASIAIR--Astrophotograph has never been easy

Post by Aldures » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:38 pm

Sean.Wang wrote:Only ASI USB3.0 cameras and mini cameras. ASI120MM/MC is not supported.
You don’t support the ASI120MM one of your most popular guide cameras?
Do you intend on supporting it?

Thanks,
Tim

riklaunim

Post by riklaunim » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 pm

Still it's Raspberry without USB3 speeds and will have to hold some large FITS files. Plus mobile app that is a benefit but also a weakness - as it must be good for the product to be good - and software development as well as UX is expensive at the high level (plus UX in some vendor astro apps is quite... low). Plus it's a vendor app so vendor lock-in is a thing.

More versatile product would be a x86 Windows tablet derivative that runs either Windows or Linux and has good USB hub and separate charge (or those tablet-alike devices with normal set of ports but requiring power). Run software you like, use any vendor you like. And multi 12V/5V portable power source to support it as a mobile imaging setup.

Support@ZWO

Post by Support@ZWO » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:55 pm

Aldures wrote:
Sean.Wang wrote:Only ASI USB3.0 cameras and mini cameras. ASI120MM/MC is not supported.
You don’t support the ASI120MM one of your most popular guide cameras?
Do you intend on supporting it?

Thanks,
Tim
Hi Tim
Because 120mm/mc is very old design, it is not compatible with air. It's a pity, but we support all new cameras including mini USB2.0 cameras.
Suzhou China

brenchen

Post by brenchen » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:19 am

I'm very excited about the ASIAir! I just have a few quick questions about it:

1. Can it support other brands of guide cameras that is not ZWO?
2. What is the latency between the ASIAir and the client device?
3. What is the bit depth/quality of the image transmitted from the ASIAir to the client device
4. Does it have capability to support other imaging accessories? Like auto focuser etc.?

Thanks!

TCampbell

Post by TCampbell » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:56 pm

This seems like an ideal product for me... as I have an ASI174MM-Cool that I use for Ha Solar imaging, an ASI128MC-Pro for deep-sky imaging, and an ASI174-Mini for guiding. (That, and I'm always griping about why astronomy software still requires people lug around laptops when iPads and phones are so powerful... necessitating me lugging around heavy batteries into the field (I don't have a permanent observatory)). This will save me a lot of back pain.

I noticed the demo video showed the person using a 128GB card instead of a 32GB card (so apparently it does support SDXC Micro cards).

My question is about transfer speeds.

For the ASI128MC-Pro, I'm not so worried because the on-camera memory will deal with the image read-out and can then stream the image data to the ASIAir for storage on the card.

I'm wondering about the ASI174... for Solar, typically the camera captures video at a high frame-rate and I've noticed it really helps to have a computer that uses (a) USB 3.0 and (b) uses an SSD instead of a traditional mechanical HD so it keep up with the frame rate without choking and dropping frames.

Does the ASIAir and the SDXC micro card keep up well with the frame rate of the ASI174-MM camera operating at full resolution?

riklaunim

Post by riklaunim » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:51 pm

TCampbell wrote:Does the ASIAir and the SDXC micro card keep up well with the frame rate of the ASI174-MM camera operating at full resolution?
At max it's USB2 speeds as it's Raspberry Pi. Network traffic may limit it.

Support@ZWO

Post by Support@ZWO » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:22 am

riklaunim wrote:
TCampbell wrote:Does the ASIAir and the SDXC micro card keep up well with the frame rate of the ASI174-MM camera operating at full resolution?
At max it's USB2 speeds as it's Raspberry Pi. Network traffic may limit it.
Yes, you are right.
Suzhou China

FredP

Post by FredP » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:05 am

wow, never been easier. big cloud magnet, tho.
USA Michigan
iPad pro
Ioptron ieq30
asi071MC-C
asi174MM
asi174MC-cool
asi290MC
EFW 7
rigel focus
wo gt71
at-rc6