Cannot create a bootable SSD

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: Sam, Tech@ZWO, ASIAIR@ZWO

astroGrandpa

Cannot create a bootable SSD

Post by astroGrandpa » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:09 pm

No matter what I've tried. I cannot create a bootable SSD. I've followed all the many suggestions and instructions in this forum. I am using a Mac. I can create an image on my backup SSD's (I've used serveral all are Ultra ScanDisc SSD's 32gb). I've copied over my license to Boot. But they will not boot up. I've used ApplePiBaker, PiBaker, and Mac DiscUtility and made exact images from ASIAIR_PRO_1.4.2.img on them and then replace zwoair_license with the one on the good SSD that came with the ASIAIR Pro. In all cases when I put them in the air they do not boot. I really want to have a backup that works! what are my alternatives?

thanks for you help,
john

W7AY

Re: Cannot create a bootable SSD

Post by W7AY » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:52 pm

>> I really want to have a backup that works! what are my alternatives?

Did you try to low-level reformat the card using the program that the SD Card organization provides?

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

If that still does not work, try the microSD card that ZWO recommends (it is not an SSD; it is a microSD card, earlier called TF card). Amazon sells them in various bundles, for example:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NP96DX5

The above Samsung microSD appears to be correctly formatted.

I use MacOS X and ApplePi-Baker, and have made many backups and restores (I back up every new firmware release). I primarily use ApplePi-Baker v1 and not the current v2 of the application (v2 may be working better now -- it had problems when I tried it a while ago). So you may want to check v1 version of ApplePi-Baker out too.

MacOS Disk Utility of course will not work. The standard MacOS can only see the partition that is called BOOT (the partition that holds the license file). There are three other partitions on the microSD card that are opaque to MacOS X; thus the need to use something like ApplePi-Baker to back up and restore the ASIAIR firmware.

Chen

astroGrandpa

Post by astroGrandpa » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:03 pm

Still trying with no luck. I downloaded and used the SD format app you suggested. I am using an identical micro SD cards as the original. I downloaded ASIAIR_PRO_1.4.2.img and used that as "file to disk" in ApplePi-baker, then copied my zwoair_license file and replaced. The new SD looks identical, but will not boot up in the AIR. I also tried "Disk to File" in AppplePi-Baker using my good SD card, trying both zip and img formats. Then "file to disk", both will not boot. What am I doing wrong? I don't want to give up.

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:23 am

astroGrandpa wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:03 pm
Still trying with no luck. I downloaded and used the SD format app you suggested. I am using an identical micro SD cards as the original. I downloaded ASIAIR_PRO_1.4.2.img and used that as "file to disk" in ApplePi-baker, then copied my zwoair_license file and replaced. The new SD looks identical, but will not boot up in the AIR. I also tried "Disk to File" in AppplePi-Baker using my good SD card, trying both zip and img formats. Then "file to disk", both will not boot. What am I doing wrong? I don't want to give up.
Here is another user's note: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ASIAIR/ ... 985584284/, please read about it.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

astroGrandpa

Post by astroGrandpa » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:36 pm

after way too many hours at this, SUCCESS! thank you for the support. Although, I would have rather just bought a new card from ZWO (new revenue source?) then beat my head against the computer with this.

ShadowAngel

Post by ShadowAngel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:25 pm

Your license for the software is included on the card you have, so they couldn't really sell you another card without having to pay for a whole new license and everything, or jumping through a ton of hoops on their side to make sure the license information on both cards was the same.