Feature Requests?

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: Sam, Tech@ZWO, ASIAIR@ZWO

James474789

Feature Requests?

Post by James474789 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:21 am

The ASIAir is an amazing device and things like polar alignment and plate solving work so well they appear to be nothing short of witch-craft.

However, as an experienced SGPro user I would love to see the following enhancements:

Easy?
1. Ability to set gain per autorun event.
2. Ability to change autorun events without resetting progress.
3. Ability to change autorun events without stopping/pausing execution.
4. Ability to name filters (I prefer Red, Green, Blue etc as opposed to R,G,B).

Medium?
1. Focus - Measure HFR across whole image, not for an individual star.
2. Focus - Use of filter offsets.

Hard?
1. A graphical target/mosaic planning tool. I currently plan my targets in SGPro and then manually enter the RA/Dec coords to workaround this limitation.

Not sure if this is the right place to make feature requests or if I should post them to the Facebook group?

W7AY

Re: Feature Requests?

Post by W7AY » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:17 pm

>> 1. Focus - Measure HFR across whole image, not for an individual star.

I had sent this suggestion to ZWO some time ago when they started discussing autofocusing in ASIAIR. But it should work well even for manual focusing, as you mentioned.

It should work really works well when seeing is poor. By averaging multiple stars' HFD (or HFR) the HFD value averages out and results in a much more stable HFD number, instead of a number that bounces around, like what you see today in the ASIAIR Focus window.

The only downside is for folks who don't use flatteners/reducers, or use the wrong back focus distance. In that case, the center portion of the plate (where a target galaxy is probably located at :-) will be defocused, while the corners of the plate is more in focus. Perhaps a compromise is to pick only stars in the central 25% of the plate. Even using just 4 stars would get the standard deviation of the noise of the HFD to fall by a factor of about 2.

Chen

James474789

Post by James474789 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:04 am

Good point. In that case it would be nice to make it user selectable (single star or whole image).

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:36 am

Thanks guys, all the requests are added to the todos, we will talk about them.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

James474789

Post by James474789 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:49 pm

Also, add rotation angle to the go to commands with support for manual rotation adjustments.

This is already mostly there; if you manually platesolve it gives the rotation angle.