Post by RohanDP » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:38 pm

Hello,

I have the following equipment:

ASI Air Pro
ZWO Mini Scope and ZWO ASI120mini Guide Camera
IOptron Skyguider Pro Mount
Canon 70d DSLR
iPad Pro 11" running latest version of iPadOS (13.6) and ASI Air app 1.4.4

I have been able to get everything working though the ASI Air Pro other than being able to Autoguide. I've hooked everything up as directed (USB to ASI Air, ST4 Cable to Mount guide port). There is communication to the camera as I can see stars in the Guiding screen, but every time I go to select my mount it says "Failed to Connect. Open Guide Camera First". I have watched every video, read every article I can find online, and have seen many people having this issue, but have not seen anywhere how to solve the problem. Is there a step I'm missing, or is it a bug?

Thanks for your help,
Jason

ASIAIR@ZWO

Re: Cannot Connect to Mount with ST4

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:46 am

RohanDP wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:38 pm
Hello,

I have the following equipment:

ASI Air Pro
ZWO Mini Scope and ZWO ASI120mini Guide Camera
IOptron Skyguider Pro Mount
Canon 70d DSLR
iPad Pro 11" running latest version of iPadOS (13.6) and ASI Air app 1.4.4

I have been able to get everything working though the ASI Air Pro other than being able to Autoguide. I've hooked everything up as directed (USB to ASI Air, ST4 Cable to Mount guide port). There is communication to the camera as I can see stars in the Guiding screen, but every time I go to select my mount it says "Failed to Connect. Open Guide Camera First". I have watched every video, read every article I can find online, and have seen many people having this issue, but have not seen anywhere how to solve the problem. Is there a step I'm missing, or is it a bug?

Thanks for your help,
Jason
Could you please record a vid of the routine and share with us at asiair@zwoptical.com? We tested on our side without issues. Thank you.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

RohanDP

Post by RohanDP » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:22 pm

I uploaded the video to an unlisted link on YouTube and emailed the link to the address requested.

Thanks,
Jason

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:37 am

RohanDP wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:22 pm
I uploaded the video to an unlisted link on YouTube and emailed the link to the address requested.

Thanks,
Jason
Thank you Jason, this is a bug that confirmed, sorry about the trouble. It will be fixed in the next version v1.5.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

hfhenrichs

Post by hfhenrichs » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:01 pm

Hello,
I have a related problem with the polar alignment.
My setup is
ASIAIR
iOptron SkyGuider Pro, connected as On-Camera-ST4
ZWO 120MMmini as guide camera
Capturing is done with a separate Sonya6000, not connected to the ASIAIR. (I hope the Sony will be supported soon).
Using the guider camera with this mount works very well for autoguiding, without any main camera connected to the ASIAIR.
The Polar alignment, however, needs a main camera, so I want to temporarily use the 120mini as main camera, just for the polar alignment. As soon as I disconnect the guider camera, however, the mount is also disconnected: "Connect Failed, please open guide camera first". The combination main camera + mount without guider camera does not seem possible. How could I accomplish this? Thanks - HFH

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:57 am

hfhenrichs wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:01 pm
Hello,
I have a related problem with the polar alignment.
My setup is
ASIAIR
iOptron SkyGuider Pro, connected as On-Camera-ST4
ZWO 120MMmini as guide camera
Capturing is done with a separate Sonya6000, not connected to the ASIAIR. (I hope the Sony will be supported soon).
Using the guider camera with this mount works very well for autoguiding, without any main camera connected to the ASIAIR.
The Polar alignment, however, needs a main camera, so I want to temporarily use the 120mini as main camera, just for the polar alignment. As soon as I disconnect the guider camera, however, the mount is also disconnected: "Connect Failed, please open guide camera first". The combination main camera + mount without guider camera does not seem possible. How could I accomplish this? Thanks - HFH
You can not do that. While using the ST4 way, the Guide Camera should be connected first.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

hfhenrichs

Post by hfhenrichs » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:09 pm

Thank you.
After reading other posts on this forum, I now understand why this configuration will never work: the ST-4 cable runs from the mount to the guider camera, so without connection to the guider camera the ASIAIR has no physical way to connect to the mount.

The main point, I now realized, is that the ST-4 mount connection is not needed at all for the polar alignment:
- set the guide camera temporarily as main camera (--> ST-4 connection is lost)
- point to Polaris (approx), finish the polar alignment
- set the camera back as guide, connect, and reconnect the ST-4 mount
- Start guiding as usual.
Works just fine.
Huib Henrichs
Last edited by hfhenrichs on Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ddr23

Post by ddr23 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:40 pm

Guys, I had the same bug with the "connect guide camera first" on the ST4 screen. What I did to make it work, is to change the mount (ST4) to another mount (any mount) then change back to ST4. Then it will be recognized.

Cheers.

hfhenrichs

Post by hfhenrichs » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:30 am

@ddr23: this does not work in my setup (ASIAIR with latest firmware/software) : no mount is needed for polar alignement - HFH

hfhenrichs

Post by hfhenrichs » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:13 pm

@RohanDP: in my setup there is no main camera connected and autoguiding works fine. So using the same ASIAir version 1.4.4, the same iOptron Skyguider Pro and the same guider camera, I wonder what the problem you encounter could be. I assume you verified that the ST-4 cable between the mount and the camera is correct. The only difference I can think of is that I use an Android phone. BTW, I checked that the ASIAir Pro behaves the same as the ASIAir, in the sense that autoguiding goes without problems. HFH