ROI and ASIAIR Pro

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: Sam, Tech@ZWO, ASIAIR@ZWO

Alain LAFONT

ROI and ASIAIR Pro

Post by Alain LAFONT » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:58 pm

Hello,

I recently own the latest ASIAIR Pro version that I use with a ZWO system and in particular the ASI183MM Pro camera.
Normally, according to the associated documentation, version 1.4.4 integrates the ROI function (which in my opinion is an excellent development). However, I cannot find this function for my ASI183MM Pro!
Can you help me please ?

Best regards

Alain Lafont

astrosatch

Re: ROI and ASIAIR Pro

Post by astrosatch » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:03 am

ROI function is available only for full frame cameras.

W7AY

Post by W7AY » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:31 pm

>> ROI function is available only for full frame cameras.

That is how I too interpret the update notes for v1.4.4.

ZWO probably implemented ROI for the full frame cameras because downloads of full frames through WiFi can take a lot of time, not to mention the memory usage and scaling the image for the tablet's display.

That being said, reduced ROI could be useful even for the smaller APS sensor cameras when shooting small galaxies, since it can substantially reduce post processing times.

Currently, Astro Pixel Processor (APP) does not do just-in-time cropping (that I know). To save time with stacking, one has to use APP's batch cropping tool on images from a camera like the ASI2600 or ASI071, including also pre-cropping the master calibration frames. With a typical galaxy that is shot using an ASI2600 and a 500mm focal length OTA, most of the image ends up being cropped away. If ASIAIR can emit a frame-centered ROI of fixed size (so calibration frames and light frames cover precisely the same pixels), it can save a lot of time.

Chen

astrosatch

Post by astrosatch » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:13 am

W7AY wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:31 pm
>> ROI function is available only for full frame cameras.

That is how I too interpret the update notes for v1.4.4.

ZWO probably implemented ROI for the full frame cameras because downloads of full frames through WiFi can take a lot of time, not to mention the memory usage and scaling the image for the tablet's display.

That being said, reduced ROI could be useful even for the smaller APS sensor cameras when shooting small galaxies, since it can substantially reduce post processing times.

Currently, Astro Pixel Processor (APP) does not do just-in-time cropping (that I know). To save time with stacking, one has to use APP's batch cropping tool on images from a camera like the ASI2600 or ASI071, including also pre-cropping the master calibration frames. With a typical galaxy that is shot using an ASI2600 and a 500mm focal length OTA, most of the image ends up being cropped away. If ASIAIR can emit a frame-centered ROI of fixed size (so calibration frames and light frames cover precisely the same pixels), it can save a lot of time.

Chen
That is great idea. For small object it would be perfect solution.

Andrej

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:30 am

Great, we will talk about this. For APS-C frame cameras.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China