ASI290mini not a good guide camera

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: Sam, Tech@ZWO, ASIAIR@ZWO

stubblejumper

ASI290mini not a good guide camera

Post by stubblejumper » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:51 am

Perhaps it's a settings problem but I can't get it to do a good job with my ASI Air Pro. I successfully used an Altair IMX174 camera with PHD2 on Win10 setup. It isn't supported for obvious reasons. However I can't get the ASI290mini to work under Win10 or now under ASIair Pro.

Any suggestions for Gain, exposure time, etc?

I have version 1.44 installed.

chris packman

Re: ASI290mini not a good guide camera

Post by chris packman » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:58 pm

With my Asiair the ASI120MM is set to medium gain.

One thing to be aware of is you will probably need to use the little black nosepiece that came with the camera to fit on your guidescope.

On ZWO's little guidescope the mini is positioned just inside the scope with the black adapter all the way in.

You will find it a struggle to get a focussed picture otherwise.

In my setup with the ASIAIR, ZWO Guidescope and ASI120mini it works a treat...

Think I tried it on the laptop which is how I found out where to position it and it worked fine...

Good luck.

Chris

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:04 am

stubblejumper wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:51 am
Perhaps it's a settings problem but I can't get it to do a good job with my ASI Air Pro. I successfully used an Altair IMX174 camera with PHD2 on Win10 setup. It isn't supported for obvious reasons. However I can't get the ASI290mini to work under Win10 or now under ASIair Pro.

Hey stubblejumper, could you tell us more details about the issue?
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

stubblejumper

Post by stubblejumper » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:52 pm

ASIAIR@ZWO wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:04 am
stubblejumper wrote:

I have to walk back the blame on the ASI290.

First I did a test to verify that I didn't have a mount problem (iOptron CEM25P). I used an Altair Hypercam 174 camera with PHD2 on a Win 10 laptop. It ran flawlessly.

Then I set up the ASI290 with PHD2 on my Win10 laptop. It ran well but clouds rolled in so I don't have more than 30 minutes of run time.

That leaves ASIair Pro as the impediment. If I can't get ASIair Pro to guide, that means I will have to use a Win10 PC. I can set up a mini PC with Mango router so I can control it from a tablet. I'll use ASIair for PA, focus and GoTo's but I'll use SharpCap and PHD2 on the mini PC for captures.

Don

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:24 am

stubblejumper wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:52 pm
ASIAIR@ZWO wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:04 am
stubblejumper wrote:

I have to walk back the blame on the ASI290.

First I did a test to verify that I didn't have a mount problem (iOptron CEM25P). I used an Altair Hypercam 174 camera with PHD2 on a Win 10 laptop. It ran flawlessly.

Then I set up the ASI290 with PHD2 on my Win10 laptop. It ran well but clouds rolled in so I don't have more than 30 minutes of run time.

That leaves ASIair Pro as the impediment. If I can't get ASIair Pro to guide, that means I will have to use a Win10 PC. I can set up a mini PC with Mango router so I can control it from a tablet. I'll use ASIair for PA, focus and GoTo's but I'll use SharpCap and PHD2 on the mini PC for captures.

Don
Hi Don, the ASI290 works well with ASIAIR PRO on guiding. Please read this doc: https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/ma ... Manual.pdf.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

mchast

Post by mchast » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:33 pm

I have been using the ASI290mini with the ASIAir and now the ASIAir Pro and an iOptron CEM40. I run with medium gain and 2s exposures without a problem. The only issue I seem to have with the ASI290mini is the USB C connection needs to be just right for it to be detected. No issues with guiding once it’s running that I have seen. I believe my other settings are default for guiding.

I am not using dithering. (Unsupported DSLR - FujiFilm)

stubblejumper

Post by stubblejumper » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:46 pm

[/quote]

Hi Don, the ASI290 works well with ASIAIR PRO on guiding. Please read this doc: https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/ma ... Manual.pdf.
[/quote]

I finally got it going and it seems to be doing a good job. There is one odd thing though. I use the ZWO mini guide scope and have trouble getting stars to focus properly. No problem with my ASI1600MM and main scope which is actually a 300mm lens right now because I am capturing M31. I will switch to longer focal length scopes when I go after smaller targets.

Don

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:31 am

stubblejumper wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:46 pm
[/quote]

I finally got it going and it seems to be doing a good job. There is one odd thing though. I use the ZWO mini guide scope and have trouble getting stars to focus properly. No problem with my ASI1600MM and main scope which is actually a 300mm lens right now because I am capturing M31. I will switch to longer focal length scopes when I go after smaller targets.

Don
[/quote]

Hey Don, could you send me some screenshots of your Focus page with defocused? ASIAIR@zwoptical.com
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China