Can't connect to home network

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: Sam, Tech@ZWO, ASIAIR@ZWO

rreed

Can't connect to home network

Post by rreed » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:40 pm

I'm trying to use my wireless home network instead of the ASIAir network. I enter my IP address shown by my iPad's Apple Extreme Network configuration settings for the Router as 192.168.10.1, but connection fails. What might I be doing wrong? Thanks! Rick

rreed

Re: Can't connect to home network

Post by rreed » Fri May 01, 2020 1:01 am

Also, I've connected an Amped High Power Wireless-N 600mW Smart Repeater (model 10000) to try it too. Whenever I go to WiFi Station Mode, it can't find either the AirPort Extreme or the Amped Repeater. Does it have to be an Extender instead?

W7AY

Post by W7AY » Fri May 01, 2020 4:26 am

To connect your iPad to the ASIAIR through the home network, you must first connect the ASIAIR to the home network.

As you have found out, ASIAIR can be its own WiFI Access Point ("hotspot").

If you want to access the ASIAIR through your home network, you can use the other two methods, what In the ASIAIR Setting page calls the WiFI Station Mode and Wired Ethernet.

With the Station (STN) mode, the ASIAIR's WiFi signal has to reach the router. If you search through this forum for some of my other postings, one of them has my measurements of the signal strength of the ASIAIR signal vs direction. You can see from it that trying to get full speed connection is probably futile over a range of more than a few meters, especially if you try to be fancy and mount the ASIAIR on the mount (no RF engineer would ever do that), so its direction to the router can change over the night.

What you need to do (so, it is not as "Simple as 1,2,3" after all :-) is to use a WiFi extender that is placed very close to the ASIAIR. This way, the ASIAIR has only a short distance to reach the extender, and you can fix-mount the extender on a tripod leg or pier of the telescope.

This brings up the problem of how to power the extender. RAVPower makes some battery powered router and TP-Link makes a USB (5V) powered extender (look up the WR902-AC Travel Router at Amazon). There are some extenders that can be modified from wall socket to 5V power. There are also some Netgear routers that run off 12V DC. With pretty much everyone having to use something like the WR902-AC, I am actually surprised the vendors have not run out of stock yet of the WR902-AC :-).

You simply follow the instructions from TP-Link to use the WR902-AC as a range extender (don't forget the slide switch on the side). And configure it with appropriate password to get the WR902-AC to join your home network.

Once you have done that, the WR-902 should appear in you home router's list of devices.

You can use the extender in STN mode, but the most reliable way (and highest speed option) is to connect the ASIAIR's LAN port directly to the WR902-AC's LAN port (not all travel routers let you do that), and run the WR902-AC on the 5 GHz band.

If you connect this way, there is nothing else you need to set up in the ASIAIR. The ASIAIR device will see a direct LAN cable and use that.

Once your ASIAIR is connected to the extender, you should see Wired Ethernet in the ASIAIR Setup window change to "connected" state. If you click on the Wired Ethernet text, ASIAIR should show the IP address that the router has assigned to ASIAIR. You can also go into the router to assign a fixed address to the MAC number of the ASIAIR -- that will make it easy for you to access files through the ASIAIR's Samba server in the future.

Once set up as Wired Ethernet, you can now go to the WiFI Settings of iOS to switch from using the ASIAIR hotspot to the home network. The next time you start up the ASIAIR app, the app should find the ASIAIR device on your home network. If not, you can use the aforementioned IP address to give it some help.

By the way, when you use the Wired Ethernet connection, you can still control the ASIAIR from its WiFi Access Point ("hotspot"). But you have to be very close by to see it.

Currently, both my ASIAIR Pro and the TP-link travel router are in a plastic box (about a cubic foot), together wth a powered USB hub and a 12V PowerPole distribution. The box is placed at the base of my tripod and does not move through the night.

Many years ago, I had banned the Apple Airports from my house (at the time I have not yet retired from Apple) because it was putting out too much RFI (my other hobby is Amateur Radio, and I need an RF-quiet environment -- all of my Ethernet cables are shielded).

Good luck,
Chen

rreed

Post by rreed » Sun May 03, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi Chen, Thank you so much! I was able to get this working by physically attaching the extender to the AISAIR using an ethernet connector. However now I can't attach my guider (it's the ZWO 120mm Mini-Guider) to the Pro box as the port is taken up by the extender. What do you advise? Thanks! Rick.

W7AY

Post by W7AY » Sun May 03, 2020 10:38 pm

Hi Rick,

I don't understand... are you using the USB port on the ASIAIR Pro to power the extender, and therefore lost the use of a USB port? If so, just power it off something like this:

https://powerwerx.com/usbbuddy-powerpol ... ce-charger

If you are already using PowerPoles for distributing 12V, you are all set. If not, just replace the PowerPoles with a barrel DC plug.

If you run out of USB ports, just use USB extenders. If you are using one of the newer DSO cameras from ZWO, they have a built in hub and you can plug a guide camera into that.

I have been quite successful with this small and light USB extender.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WHRVN3W

Unfortunately, I notice that it is no longer available. Extenders can be tricky with ZWO's products, you need to find one that works (perhaps the USB driver in the Pro is better now).

FWIW, I typically have two of these extenders in the system. One (powered) hub that sits on the ground in my "processor box" that I described in my prior posting. That USB hub then feeds a second USB hub (same model, but unpowered) which sits on a side-by-side plate of my mount (I have a RainbowAstro mount and need not worry about the dreaded "third axis" balancing that comes with side-by-side plates).

Since all the hubs at Amazon are rip-offs of each other's designs anyway, and all using the same chip sets, I suspect almost all hubs would work.

Power is distributed in a similar fashion. A major power hub in the processor box, using PowerPoles. That then feeds a second DC Power hub also located on my side-by-side plate, but with barrel DC connectors. I used to make my own, but then found the DC Power hub by deepskydad.com and switched to it

https://deepskydad.com/dchub2

This one has much higher current capacity than what the ASIAIR Pro provides. And has a couple of 5V outlets (in the physical form of a USB Type A connectors).

I have been giving nudges to Pavle to bring out a hub that includes a USB hub chip too :-).

Clear skies,
Chen

rreed

Post by rreed » Mon May 04, 2020 12:38 am

No, I need to connect the Extender and Air using each other's ethernet port. The extender is broadcasting wirelessly the home network and to get the ASIAir to be seen on the network I need to plug the ASIAir into the back of the extender using an ethernet cable.

W7AY

Post by W7AY » Mon May 04, 2020 2:18 am

This is what I still don't understand. Why does connecting the LAN ports have to do with the loss of a USB Port on the ASIAIR? There is no need at all to connect to the USB Port of a WiFI extender.

By the way, the Lacerta MGEN-3 supports multi-star guiding. I think I will get one to replace the ASIAIR guiding.

Cheers,
Chen

rreed

Post by rreed » Mon May 04, 2020 2:44 am

Not losing a USB port. The guide camera is plugged into the ASIAir. The Air is plugged into the Telescope.

W7AY

Post by W7AY » Mon May 04, 2020 3:30 am

OK, this must mean something I don't understand then:

>> However now I can't attach my guider (it's the ZWO 120mm Mini-Guider) to the Pro box as the port is taken up by the extender.

Sorry, can't help if I don't understand the problem.

Cheers,
Chen

rreed

Post by rreed » Mon May 04, 2020 6:27 am

Hi Chen, I'm sorry if I'm not making myself clear. The myriad technical details are sometimes hard to communicate.

I have an EM-10 mount and see that you have an EM-11 mount so maybe you can help.

Here's how I have mine setup:
EM10 Round Din plug RS232 to AIR USB using a Serial to USB adapter
MiniGuide 120 ST4 cable to AIR's Ethernet connection (yes it seems to work fine!)
EM10 Round Din Guide port is not connected

The only way I've been successful in connecting to my Home Network (Airport Extreme) is using a repeater that extends the Apple network. In order to get this to work (meaning have the ASIAIR Pro be operated while my iPad is on the Apple Network), I have to plug an ethernet cable into one of the ethernet ports on the repeater and the other end of the ethernet cable into the ethernet port of the AIR. Thus I can no longer guide as that ethernet port is already taken. There is no ST4 port on my EM-10 mount that has a phone type jack for the cable that came with the MiniGuide camera to plug into, thus it's plugged into the Ethernet port and yes that works.

I may be able to find a cable that goes from the guider camera to the mount using the EM-10's Guide port, but I don't have the adapter for that.. I think this is what I need. http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/gpcnv_tak.htm

Then I'll be able to plug the Ethernet cable from the Repeater into the ethernet port of the AIR.

Does this make sense?
Thank you so much for your time.
Rick