Canon still does not work (?)

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: Sam, Tech@ZWO, ASIAIR@ZWO

BB001

Canon still does not work (?)

Post by BB001 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:21 pm

Hi, Please refer to my earlier thread ‘How to roll-back AsiAir version’. I think no one is following this continuing problem

—— The current problem:

The Canon 60d is back to not working.

As I wrote last night this all worked. Today i went to create a fresh backup and create a new secondary backup disc; testing that I found again AsiAir reports for Canon the message “ Can’t stop immediately, please wait for seconds. So I went back and created a new boot disc; just like last night which worked. That started the AsiAir and updated firmware to 4.66 properly.

Going to test Canon (60D) again it failed. Sometimes it will trigger the shutter but not load, other times it immediately reports the above message. The camera works on EOS utility. I’ve also replace the USB cable to AsiAir. The 5G network is on. The camera is set to bulb, manual, raw etc.

I don’t get it. I just used this setup v1.4.1 from Apple for 2 weeks of shooting at end of January. It only broke when I got to 1.4.1 (9). This Apple distributed version should be working.

What’s going on?

Thanks again for your help
Bill

BB001

Re: Canon still does not work (?)

Post by BB001 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 am

Sorry for the confusion, my Canon T7i is know as the 800D which Asiair autodetects
Thnx,
Bill

BB001

Post by BB001 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:38 pm

I ‘guess’ I found the problem. I noticed that even with wifi and bluetooth off, the hotspot selection on an iPad was still be toggle green. When I shut that off, then put my iPad in airplane mode, and enbable wifi for the AsiAir’s 5G - everything worked. No problem at all with the Canon.

Now I tried to reproduce this about 5 times, including cold boots and found the AsiAir did work once when it should not have according to the above outlined observation. But it never failed to operated the Canon when the HotSpot was toggled off.

To recap, although one may have turned off wifi and bluetooth - intending to run straight cell data - if one forgets to turn-off some previous hotspot session that function can “dork stuff up”.

To sum up my DSLR usage with AsiAir: I run the camera in raw, manual, and bulb mode. On the iPad I verify HotSpot is off. I turned off any wifi and bluetooth. I put the iPad in airplane mode and turn on the wifi then discover the AsiAir. Since my iPad has both cell data and wifi capablities I always turn OFF the cell data - airplane mode. I’ve found this gives me a more reliable 5G connection for distance and performace with the AsiAir.

Sam

Post by Sam » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:13 am

that's really strange issue
but it's glad to hear that you solved it
ZWO Founder
SuZhou China