ASIAir Pro - potential to revolutionize EAA!!!!

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: Sam, Tech@ZWO, ASIAIR@ZWO

tombauer1

ASIAir Pro - potential to revolutionize EAA!!!!

Post by tombauer1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:27 am

Just noticed the ASIAir Pro product description on this website. Kudos to ZWO! This will undoubtably be a great product. I am a proud owner of a ASI294MC Pro and use it exclusively for EAA. My workflow presently involves using SharpCap Pro on a Windows laptop for camera interface and Sky Safari Pro for mount control. Workable, but definitely a compromise of utility and complexity vs enjoyable user interface. I am very much looking forward to replacing the PC and Sharpcap with the ASIAir Pro.

I am a little concerned though, that the correct mindset is in place for the ASIAir Pro to see its full potential as the definitive EAA tool. I realize that the original ASIAir is an astrophotography tool and is not intended to be of much use for EAA, but I'm hoping the Pro will change that. To that end please keep in mind that for EAA the realtime stacked image is the final product. No post-processing is intended. This requires that the live stacked image be aligned, exposure controlled, and COLOR BALANCED in real time. Anything short of this level of control and SharpCap becomes the goto app, leaving the ASIAir Pro as nothing more than a cool toy. I sincerely hope ZWO sees this aspect of this product.

I've never used an ASIAir, but I have read the user manual and have been beta-testing ASILive. This is why I am both concerned and inspired. I see the user experience potential of ASIAir pro as being fantastic based on my limited experienced with ASILive. The vision of the entire EAA UI taking place on the hi-res screen of my iPad with a live-stacking image forming full-screen with disappearing controls is inspiring. This would definitely take the EAA hobby to a new level. I sincerely hope this is ZWOs vision as well.

ASIAIR@ZWO

Re: ASIAir Pro - potential to revolutionize EAA!!!!

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:35 pm

tombauer1 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:27 am
Just noticed the ASIAir Pro product description on this website. Kudos to ZWO! This will undoubtably be a great product. I am a proud owner of a ASI294MC Pro and use it exclusively for EAA. My workflow presently involves using SharpCap Pro on a Windows laptop for camera interface and Sky Safari Pro for mount control. Workable, but definitely a compromise of utility and complexity vs enjoyable user interface. I am very much looking forward to replacing the PC and Sharpcap with the ASIAir Pro.

I am a little concerned though, that the correct mindset is in place for the ASIAir Pro to see its full potential as the definitive EAA tool. I realize that the original ASIAir is an astrophotography tool and is not intended to be of much use for EAA, but I'm hoping the Pro will change that. To that end please keep in mind that for EAA the realtime stacked image is the final product. No post-processing is intended. This requires that the live stacked image be aligned, exposure controlled, and COLOR BALANCED in real time. Anything short of this level of control and SharpCap becomes the goto app, leaving the ASIAir Pro as nothing more than a cool toy. I sincerely hope ZWO sees this aspect of this product.

I've never used an ASIAir, but I have read the user manual and have been beta-testing ASILive. This is why I am both concerned and inspired. I see the user experience potential of ASIAir pro as being fantastic based on my limited experienced with ASILive. The vision of the entire EAA UI taking place on the hi-res screen of my iPad with a live-stacking image forming full-screen with disappearing controls is inspiring. This would definitely take the EAA hobby to a new level. I sincerely hope this is ZWOs vision as well.
Hello Tom,
Yes, from v1.4 with the ASIAIR PRO, the Live Stacking is on, I think you can do EAA with the ASIAIR PRO.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

tombauer1

Post by tombauer1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:40 pm

How will the ASIAir Pro handle white balance? Will there be manual control? I noticed that ASILive was not able to handle white balance while using narrow bandpass filters such as Optolong L-enhance. This capability is required for EAA since there is no post-processing.

astrosatch

Post by astrosatch » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:08 pm

I have galaxy tab A. But with only 2 GB of ram. How will this affect livestacking or other features compared to 4 GB?

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:20 am

tombauer1 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:40 pm
How will the ASIAir Pro handle white balance? Will there be manual control? I noticed that ASILive was not able to handle white balance while using narrow bandpass filters such as Optolong L-enhance. This capability is required for EAA since there is no post-processing.
Yes, the white balance is auto processed by the program. I will feedback your info to our team. Thank you.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:22 am

astrosatch wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:08 pm
I have galaxy tab A. But with only 2 GB of ram. How will this affect livestacking or other features compared to 4 GB?
Yes, you can still use you Tab A, but for Live Stacking and some full-frame ASI cams like ASI6200, you need higher RAM device ≥ 4GB.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

propus

Post by propus » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:10 pm

I have been using ASIAir exclusively for EAA (ASI294).
The auto white balance combined with stretching available in the preview window has worked very well for me.
You don't have much control of the colors, but the results have been very satisfying.
I am also looking forward to the release of Pro

Alaluji

Post by Alaluji » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:18 am

Can anyone tell me if the new Asiair Pro is compatible with the SkyWatcher Star Adventurer mount as if it is the original Asiair?

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:15 am

Alaluji wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:18 am
Can anyone tell me if the new Asiair Pro is compatible with the SkyWatcher Star Adventurer mount as if it is the original Asiair?
Hello Sir,
You can use the ST4-On-Camera driver.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

astrosatch

Post by astrosatch » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:57 am

Ji.zwo wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:22 am
astrosatch wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:08 pm
Yes, you can still use you Tab A, but for Live Stacking and some full-frame ASI cams like ASI6200, you need higher RAM device ≥ 4GB.
I tried live stacking with asi1600mm and everything works great. You said that for live stacking I need 4gb of ram. But isn't live stacking processed in asiar pro and not in tablet that controls it? What would otherwise happen if there is unsufficient ram?

Andrej