Problems with images and stacking

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: Sam, Tech@ZWO, ASIAIR@ZWO

Ryan1776

Problems with images and stacking

Post by Ryan1776 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:40 pm

I started my imaging with BackYard EOS and it's a great program. I could choose how to save the image, RAW or Jpeg.

With the ASIAir I'm having some complications.
First the Lights save as a FIT file. Can that be changed to RAW?
When I shot my darks, bias, and flats, it saves to JPEG. Why the difference? And how to fix? I would think they would also save at FIT file.

When trying to stack these images in DSS I get an error.
"The checked pictures are not compatible. (width, height, and number of colors, number of channels, only one master dark, offset, and flat)"

I can stack the FITs by themselves, but non of the extra images.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan

ASIAIR@ZWO

Re: Problems with images and stacking

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:03 am

Ryan1776 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:40 pm
I started my imaging with BackYard EOS and it's a great program. I could choose how to save the image, RAW or Jpeg.

When I shot my darks, bias, and flats, it saves to JPEG. Why the difference? And how to fix? I would think they would also save at FIT file.

"The checked pictures are not compatible. (width, height, and number of colors, number of channels, only one master dark, offset, and flat)"

Ryan
Hello Ryan,
So I suppose you are using a DSL, right?
Okay,
#1 while using DSL with ASIAIR, choose image format "RAW" in the DSL, then, the file will be saved in both devices:
in ASIAIR: FITs format; in DSL: RAW format.

#2 How did you shoot your calibrations? Only with the DSL? We need to capture them with the ASIAIR too.

Hope helps, have a nice day.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

Ryan1776

Post by Ryan1776 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Ji.zwo wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:03 am
Ryan1776 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:40 pm

Ryan
Hello Ryan,
So I suppose you are using a DSL, right?
Okay,
#1 while using DSL with ASIAIR, choose image format "RAW" in the DSL, then, the file will be saved in both devices:
in ASIAIR: FITs format; in DSL: RAW format.

#2 How did you shoot your calibrations? Only with the DSL? We need to capture them with the ASIAIR too.

Hope helps, have a nice day.
I'm sorry! Yes I'm using a Canon T7i DSLR.

I had RAW chosen in the camera.
It only saved to the ASIAir SD card, no images were saved to the camera.

#2 Yes. I shot the calibration images with the ASIAIR as well and they only saved to the ASIAIR as jpeg.

Ryan

keano

Post by keano » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:04 pm

under camera settings on the air you can select 'save to camera also' so images will save on DSLR SD card.

camera needs to be set to RAW.

Use the Air to shoot Darks ,then for flats just stick light source on , white t shirt and aperture priority mode. bias fastest shutter speed.

Ryan1776

Post by Ryan1776 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:21 pm

keano wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:04 pm
under camera settings on the air you can select 'save to camera also' so images will save on DSLR SD card.

camera needs to be set to RAW.

Use the Air to shoot Darks ,then for flats just stick light source on , white t shirt and aperture priority mode. bias fastest shutter speed.
So you recommend saving to the camera card and use those images and NOT the FIT images that save to the the ASIAir? That's fine, I'm just trying to understand.

Is there a benefit to the image being FIT?

And yup-camera was/is set to RAW.

I guess I don't understand why the calibration images saved as Jpeg and not FIT on the AIR?

Your technique for the calibration is what I used when using BYEOS.
Am I understanding you use the AIR for the darks ONLY and shoot the bias and Flats "manually" on the camera?
Because if I BIN on the AIR, manually taking the photos on the camera won't BIN and then I believe I'll be in the same boat-where images don't match.

Maybe the question is, will the AIR shoot images if I set the camera to Aperture mode?
I haven't tried this yet. Maybe tonight.