No WiFi connection

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: Sam, Tech@ZWO, ASIAIR@ZWO

Kurt

No WiFi connection

Post by Kurt » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:19 am

I have recently purchased the asiair, and have used it 4 times, twice in my backyard, and everything worked fine, and twice to dark sky sites, of which on the last outing the devise connected to the WiFi, but would not let me use the app, saying there was a firmware update. When I tried to update, it would show update progress to 6%, but would not complete, eventually I shut everything down for the evening, when I returned home, I hooked everything back up, to see what would happen, and have no WiFi signal at all, no communication between device, and app. A solution to the problem would be appreciated, thank you.

W7AY

Re: No WiFi connection

Post by W7AY » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:56 am

Hi Kurt,

I suspect that the SD card is corrupted when firmware was being written to the ASIAIR from the ASIAIR app in your tablet. Quite likely caused by a poor WiFi connection.

If the SD card is indeed corrupted, you will need to restore the SD card image that you had backed up when you had originally followed the "First Use" instructions in the ASIAIR User's manual. Either restore the image into the currently corrupted card, or restore the image to a new 32 GB SD card. It takes just 15 minutes to half an hour, and you should be able to see the ASIAIR WiFi access point again.

This time, make sure that you boot the ASIAIR from a solid power source, and have a solid WiFi connection (no more than a meter or two between ASIAIR and the tablet) when the old firmware is again updated from the ASIAIR app.

If for some reason, you had not backed up the SD card (which has a copy of the license file that is specific to your ASIAIR processor), you will need to contact ZWO (it is the weekend there, so you may need to wait another day or two).

Good luck,
Chen

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:28 pm

I have tried to reload the OS, on the formatted original sd card will write to 83%, then give me an error 5 code/access denied message, and will not complete, any suggestions?

W7AY

Post by W7AY » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:01 am

That sounds like a Windows error; sorry I can't help since I use MacOS X (I've been using ApplePi Baker to archive and restore the ASIAIR SD cards).

Do you have another SD card you can try with? Anything with capacity of 32 GB or more will work (albeit, the max image storage area remains at 25 GB). In a pinch, I have used 64 GB cards.

Chen

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:50 am

Kurt wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:28 pm
I have tried to reload the OS, on the formatted original sd card will write to 83%, then give me an error 5 code/access denied message, and will not complete, any suggestions?
This error occurred by the SD Card Reader IO error. Please try another SD Card Reader.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

keano

Post by keano » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:06 pm

I have seen people have wifi and connection issues when using an under rated power supply, makes sure your supply has sufficient amps.

wifi range is also pretty limited consider using a wifi extender

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:42 am

On the first attempt to load the backup file, was with the original SD card (formatted) that came with the air, I attempted several times, with the same result, 83%. ZWO sent me a new OS, and I tried loading that on a new card It went to 96%, then stopped and gave same error message.

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:28 am

Kurt wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:42 am
On the first attempt to load the backup file, was with the original SD card (formatted) that came with the air, I attempted several times, with the same result, 83%. ZWO sent me a new OS, and I tried loading that on a new card It went to 96%, then stopped and gave same error message.
Please try to change to another SD Card Reader, we met this issue cause the reader IO error. Maybe this helps.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:44 am

I have tried 3 different card readers. My latest attempt with new card and Most recent OS sent byZWO, I was only able to get to 83% again.

W7AY

Post by W7AY » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:38 am

Hi Kurt,

Do you have access to a different computer, especially a Mac that can run ApplePi-Baker? ApplePi-Baker seems to work pretty consistently for me.

Short of that, or if they still fail at 83% to 96% of completion, you could try these two things:

1) In case there are some partitions that cannot be overwritten, go to the SD Association web site and download and run their SDFormatter program to low-level format the SD card.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

If memory serves, the ZWO SD card image has four partitions, a BOOT partition in FAT32 format, a Linux swap partition and a couple of Linux data partitions (ext format).

The part that bothers me is that you can't even write to a brand new 32 GB card, so a bad partition would not apply. Be sure to use the specific Samsung card that ZWO specifies; there are apparently some cards that are too small (possibly bad sectors) to take the ZWO SD image. But since nothing else seems to work, it is worth a low level format of the original (or identical) Samsung card.

Next thing to try:

2) launch whatever Windows program that you are using with "Run as Administrator."

Good luck again,
Chen