Connect to mount via WiFi?

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: yang, Sam, Ji.zwo, lancer jiang

Pogo

Connect to mount via WiFi?

Post by Pogo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:12 pm

Would it be possible to connect my ASIAIR to my telescope mount via WiFi? I am using an Astrophysics GTOCP4 unit which you can connect to via WiFi (besides usb/serial) . It can be configured as a station, where it can connect to the asiair’s Network, which is probably what I need to do.
I am expecting delivery of the new Astrotrac360 mount soon and from what I understand so far, you can only connect to it via WiFi, so it would be nice if that would be possible. Any guidance on how to do that would be very nice. Thanks!

Peter

Pogo

Re: Connect to mount via WiFi?

Post by Pogo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:31 pm

Alright, I got as far as changing the WiFi setting of the GTOCP4 to station mode and I got it to connect to the ASIAIR. In the app I am unable to connect to the mount however, probably because it does not have the correct IP address. In the GTOCP4 web interface I cannot find any settings for a fixed IP address. Anybody?

lancer jiang

Post by lancer jiang » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:33 am

hi peter

have you ever heard of the azgti?
it did can be connected to ASIAIR via wifi

In my understanding, the following key points are needed.

1: the port number of the mount(such as azgti :11880 sratbook ten :80)
2: to set the station mode on the app(set this on azgti app called syncscan or syncscan pro)
3: need to set the asiair to master mode

Hope the above info helps

Pogo

Post by Pogo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks, did all that except setting asiair to mastermode. Not sure how to do that. There is no option for me to assign a fixed ip number to the mount, unless I am missing something.

Thanks,

Peter

W7AY

Post by W7AY » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:32 pm

Hi Peter,

I think that perhaps what Lancer meant by master mode is that at present ASIAIR can only set itself up as the Access Point of a network.

As such, ASIAIR will have an SSID, the familiar ASIAIR_xxxxxxxx string, unless you have changed it yourself. The hex digits following "ASIAIR" come from the ARM chip's Processor ID (which ZWO also use for licensing).

Somewhere in your mount, there should be a menu setting to set the mount up as WiFi station mode, and a place to enter the ASIAIR's SSID. Additionally, there should be a menu field to enter the WiFi password of the access point (12345678 in the case of the ASIAIR).

Since the connection between the mount and ASIAIR needs refer to the same IP at both ends, you cannot use DHCP. So, set your mount to ignore DHCP, and choose a fixed address of the form 10.0.0.n, where n can range from 2 to 254. (1 is the ASIAIR access point itself, and 255 is the broadcast address).

As long as no one else (WiFi extenders, desktop computers accessing the SD card, etc) is using the same IP address to connect to ASIAIR, you can pick your own fixed IP address. To avoid collision, it is probably safe to use some number in the middle, like 100.

I don't think ASIAIR cares what number you actually use, as long as no two WiFi devices are trying to connect to ASIAIR using the same IP address.

On the ASIAIR side, in Telescope Settings, you will want to select Ethernet, and use this exact same 10.0.0.n IP address. You will also need the Port number that your mount listens to, which you need to get from the mount's manual.

Chen

Pogo

Post by Pogo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi Chen,

Thanks for the answer, I understand, and have already been able to set the mount up in station mode and connect to the ASIAIR. The problem is, that in the menu of the mount there is no way to disable the dhcp. So I do not know what the asdigned ip address is. I als mailed AP to see if they have a solution to manually enter an IP address, but haven't heard from them yet.

Thanks,

Peter

W7AY

Post by W7AY » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:02 pm

Hi Peter,

Ah, I understand now.

Page 43 in this document has an arcane way to determine the last two hex fields of the IP address from the serial number of the controller for use in firmware downloads:

https://nimax-img.de/Produktdownloads/5 ... ung-EN.pdf

(Pretty much SN/256 and SN mod 256, but why did they not just make that simpler statement?!)

SkySafari users seems to use Port 23 with the GTOCP4.

Will that combination work for ASIAIR?

Somewhere else, the manual also metions turning DHCP to either OFF/CLIENT.

Chen

Pogo

Re: Connect to mount via WiFi

Post by Pogo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks again Chen for takeling the time to raad through that Manual. I’ll go and check it out again to see if I can get it to work. Port 23 does work with SkySafari. It will take a while before I can report back, because I will be gone a while for work. |But I will let you know if it works.

Thanks again,

Peter

Pogo

Post by Pogo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:22 pm

By the way, I do know the IP address of the controller, but when it is in station mode, I assume it is assigned a IP address by the ASIAIR and that is what I need to know to connect to it. At least that is how I understand it. I have tried to use the controllers own IP address with the port 23, but that didn’t work unfortunately.