Goto problems with HEQ6

Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: Sam, Tech@ZWO, ASIAIR@ZWO

Suttonrog

Goto problems with HEQ6

Post by Suttonrog » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:04 am

My system of working is to get my scope pointing at the right section of sky, plate solve, sync to mount and then GoTo my target. Then repeat until I am dead on.
This has worked perfectly until the latest upgrade.
I now plate solve, sync and Goto and then repeat but the Goto doesn't get close. It can go in the opposite direction and last night it went wild and smashed the scope into the tripod despite that it should have only moved about 1 minute.

Heq 6 pro imaging mount
Eqmod direct to mount usb connection no handset
Canon 6D
AsiAIr
60mm 80ed scope

Sutton

W7AY

Re: Goto problems with HEQ6

Post by W7AY » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:08 pm

In addition to a firmware change, Daylight Saving Time has also recently changed, so you might want to look into that (or the UTC offset) too.

If you are using ASIAIR in conjunction with SkySafari, you can see if SkySafari shows that you are pointed near the Zenith (i.e., the Meridian line in SkySafari) when the OTA is pointed vertically up. A digital Level app in your iPad can help check the angle of the OTA. A DST error would show up as about one hour off from the correct Hour Angle of the Meridian.

It is just as easy to check without SkySafari -- just look up the Local Sidereal Time for your location and UTC offset on Google, and compare with the Right Ascension of the mount in ASIAIR Mount Setup window with the OTA pointed to the Meridian.

You can make this check in the daytime (with the scope indoors) and not waste dark hours.

Clear skies,
Chen

Suttonrog

Post by Suttonrog » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:07 pm

Thanks for the reply Chen but that is not the problem.
I go from the start position and goto my target. Because I can't get an exact PA, that takes me close and plate solve tells me how far off I am. Sync the plate solve to the mount and repeat the goto and things go wild since the new update. It always used to work.
As I said, I am looking for less than a degree movement but I get hours of shift.
Daylight saving does not come into operation yet.

Regards
Sutton

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:54 am

Suttonrog wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:07 pm
Thanks for the reply Chen but that is not the problem.
I go from the start position and goto my target. Because I can't get an exact PA, that takes me close and plate solve tells me how far off I am. Sync the plate solve to the mount and repeat the goto and things go wild since the new update. It always used to work.
As I said, I am looking for less than a degree movement but I get hours of shift.
Daylight saving does not come into operation yet.

Regards
Sutton
Please check:
- Power on the mount in the park position
- The location info is correct under the Telescope Settings
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

Suttonrog

Post by Suttonrog » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:51 am

Thanks Chen
Everything is right.
I repeat I have been using this method for a year without a problem. The only thing that has changed is the latest update.
The only thing that is not working is a second Goto.
The first Goto from the park position is accurate to small margins. Second Gotos move the scope but in the wrong direction and too far.
The problem is worse in the Dec axis.

Sutton

Astro-JR

Post by Astro-JR » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:29 am

Dear zwo-team,
I have been using AsiAir since it appeared on the market and have also download the new update. I control AsiAir with an iPad and EQMod with an AZ-EQ6 mount and ASI294, ASI120MM mini. The new software has many improvements that I like! Thanks for that!
So far, everything worked perfectly before the update. But unfortunately, something doesn't work as usual and I have similar problems after update as described above.
I also found that after 3 to 4 GoTo's and plate solves, the mount does no longer moves back to the right home position but to some other position (RA sometimes Home, DEC always somewhere). Sometimes I have to stop running home in order to do not damaging the scope at the mount.
The same thing happens when I press the "Sync to Mount" button in the mount menu after switch on the mount (this is normally not necessary).
I always switch on the mount by facing home position.

I hope the bug can be found.

Clear Skyes from Germany

Astro-JR

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:28 am

Okay guys, we will test this issue again. BUT most users using EQMOD without problems. Check the cables again, and try it on the PC with KStar if you can.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China

Suttonrog

Post by Suttonrog » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:10 am

Thanks JL
There is no problem with mount or cables. It works perfectly other than second or third Gotos.
It works in Sky Safari but not using the Aisair.
Something changed in the new software release.
Please do test as I see that someone else has the same problem.

Rog

Suttonrog

Post by Suttonrog » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:31 am

Hi ZWO.
Any further action on this.
I see a 3rd member now has problems with it.
Sutton

ASIAIR@ZWO

Post by ASIAIR@ZWO » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:03 am

Suttonrog wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:31 am
Hi ZWO.
Any further action on this.
I see a 3rd member now has problems with it.
Sutton
Will test tonight with HEQ5 in EQMOD.
ZWO | ASIAIR Support
Suzhou China