ASI294MC Pro, First 14bit 4/3″ Cooled Color Camera

The place ZWO announce new products
Only ZWO can post topic here

Moderators: Sam, Sean.Wang

Re: ASI294MC Pro, First 14bit 4/3″ Cooled Color Camera

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:55 pm

chipguy1us wrote:Received camera today, but unable to use the provided mini-CD for driver install. I need ASCOM and X2 driver for Windows, and X2 driver for Mac. Cannot find these on the ZWO web site. Please provide link.


just follow our site:
https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/software/
ZWO Founder
Location:lon=120.6 lat=31.3
SuZhou China
User avatar
Sam
 
Posts: 2646
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 am

Re: ASI294MC Pro, First 14bit 4/3″ Cooled Color Camera

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:57 pm

olav wrote:Any manual yet?

Trying to figure out the best way to add an ir-cut or lp filter.
Will use T2 at the scope side, hoping to use the supplied M42-1.25” adapter for 1.25” filters just above the sensor glass - IF no vignetting.
Looks like some optics may have issues.
An T2 male adapter plate with clip holders for 31 or 36mm filters could be ideal.
Had hoped to avoid M48-filters, can't fit between OAG and camera.

Thanks.

we are going to upload the manual soon
you can use the M42-1.25" adapter so it close to the sensor
ZWO Founder
Location:lon=120.6 lat=31.3
SuZhou China
User avatar
Sam
 
Posts: 2646
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 am

Re: ASI294MC Pro, First 14bit 4/3″ Cooled Color Camera

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 pm

zorg wrote:ASI 294 seems very interesting to me.

Why so big dark current ? Dark current is about 10 times ASI070. How it will affect long exposures performance ?.

for example
ASI 294 PRO 0.025 e-/s x 600s = 15 ev
ASI 071 0.003 e-/s x 600s = 1.8 ev, less than readnoise


you are correct, the dark current of 294 is higher than most sensor such like 071 and 1600
so it's more suitable for short time exposure
ZWO Founder
Location:lon=120.6 lat=31.3
SuZhou China
User avatar
Sam
 
Posts: 2646
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 am

Re: ASI294MC Pro, First 14bit 4/3″ Cooled Color Camera

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:01 pm

olav wrote:Not tested mine yet due to clouds, but I'm also curious about the higher dark current and how others (doing AP and not only EAA) have been dealing with it. (ok, a bit early after just recently hitting the market)

I bought the camera primarily for my C11HD w/Hyperstar (560mm f/2) to get better shots of comets and doing some NRTV/EAA, but hope I will be happy with the results at f/7 (the C11HD with reducer at 1960mm, and a refractor at 910mm) for some faint stuff.

That is, 600s exposures would be nice, but guess I have to go a lot lower.


294 is very sensitive but did has high dark current
so it's more suitable for EAA which only need short exposure
ZWO Founder
Location:lon=120.6 lat=31.3
SuZhou China
User avatar
Sam
 
Posts: 2646
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 am

Re: ASI294MC Pro, First 14bit 4/3″ Cooled Color Camera

Postby olav » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:28 pm

Sam wrote:294 is very sensitive but did has high dark current
so it's more suitable for EAA which only need short exposure


Thanks Sam.
The 294 most certainly have great specs otherwise.

But I realize I'd be bothered with dark current even at 120s, which is the longest I'd normally plan for with Hyperstar at f/2.0. Higher sensitivity than the ASI1600 should help a little, but I didn't really plan to go above unity gain. (though maybe I can reconsider settings)

This situation is new to me. I must figure out if this camera should be installed at all. Maybe I should have chosen differently, going all the way to the 094 and do some ROI/crop when doing Hyperstar, and even smaller ROI when occasionally doing EAA/NRTV.
-olav
CGEM-DX, AZ-EQ6 x2, C11HD/.7red/Hyperstar, TS-APO130 flat/red, TS-Star71, ASI1600MMC + EFWmini w/CLS-RGB-Ha, ASI1600MMC + EFW w/CLS-LRGB-Ha-O3-S2, ASI294MCPro, ASI290MM + EFW w/LRGB+IR642+IR742+IR807+U+CH4, SmartEQpro, EOS5D2-mod & ++lenses.
olav
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:37 pm
Location: Oslo & Jotunheimen, Norway

Re: ASI294MC Pro, First 14bit 4/3″ Cooled Color Camera

Postby Sam » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:40 am

olav wrote:Thanks Sam.
The 294 most certainly have great specs otherwise.

But I realize I'd be bothered with dark current even at 120s, which is the longest I'd normally plan for with Hyperstar at f/2.0. Higher sensitivity than the ASI1600 should help a little, but I didn't really plan to go above unity gain. (though maybe I can reconsider settings)

This situation is new to me. I must figure out if this camera should be installed at all. Maybe I should have chosen differently, going all the way to the 094 and do some ROI/crop when doing Hyperstar, and even smaller ROI when occasionally doing EAA/NRTV.

you can try, we are waiting for your test result
ZWO Founder
Location:lon=120.6 lat=31.3
SuZhou China
User avatar
Sam
 
Posts: 2646
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 am

Re: ASI294MC Pro, First 14bit 4/3″ Cooled Color Camera

Postby olav » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:08 am

I started a thread on CN, I think there's consensus about the camera's expected AP suitability:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5971 ... nter-dsos/

Why the dark current isn't tested/reported below -10°C as other ASI cameras, puzzles us though. Curve flatens completely, or a nice surprise? (at least for us in cold environments)
-olav
CGEM-DX, AZ-EQ6 x2, C11HD/.7red/Hyperstar, TS-APO130 flat/red, TS-Star71, ASI1600MMC + EFWmini w/CLS-RGB-Ha, ASI1600MMC + EFW w/CLS-LRGB-Ha-O3-S2, ASI294MCPro, ASI290MM + EFW w/LRGB+IR642+IR742+IR807+U+CH4, SmartEQpro, EOS5D2-mod & ++lenses.
olav
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:37 pm
Location: Oslo & Jotunheimen, Norway

Re: ASI294MC Pro, First 14bit 4/3″ Cooled Color Camera

Postby Sam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:52 pm

olav wrote:I started a thread on CN, I think there's consensus about the camera's expected AP suitability:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5971 ... nter-dsos/

Why the dark current isn't tested/reported below -10°C as other ASI cameras, puzzles us though. Curve flatens completely, or a nice surprise? (at least for us in cold environments)


this is because we tested this camera at summer and the cooler cannot reach deeper
so we just didnot show it
but you can image the value if the temperature is lower
because dark current value is linear

compare with 1600, you should compare at same degree such like 0 degree
ASI1600 0.03e/s
ASI294 0.06e/s
and notice that the pixel size difference 4.63 vs 3.75
then compare the area of one pixel: 4.63*4.63 / 3.75*3.75 = 1.5
so 0.06e/1.5=0.04e which is a little higher than 0.03e

the image quality from 1600 is better than 294
there is very faint random horizontal noise and amp-glow with 294
you can compare both darks
ZWO Founder
Location:lon=120.6 lat=31.3
SuZhou China
User avatar
Sam
 
Posts: 2646
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 am

Re: ASI294MC Pro, First 14bit 4/3″ Cooled Color Camera

Postby Merlin66 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:14 am

Is there a ASI 294 Mono version in the future??
Could be ideal for solar imaging, good pixel size and full frame size.
Ken
"Astronomical Spectroscopy -The Final Frontier" -to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before.
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs"
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital Spectroheliograph"
Merlin66
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:46 pm
Location: St Leonards, Vic, Australia

Re: ASI294MC Pro, First 14bit 4/3″ Cooled Color Camera

Postby Sam » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:28 am

Merlin66 wrote:Is there a ASI 294 Mono version in the future??
Could be ideal for solar imaging, good pixel size and full frame size.
Ken


there is no such news from SONY
ZWO Founder
Location:lon=120.6 lat=31.3
SuZhou China
User avatar
Sam
 
Posts: 2646
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 am

Previous

Return to New Products

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest