ASI1600MM Not Saving Images Consistently

questions or suggestion about ASICAP software

Moderators: Support@ZWO, Software@ZWO

imalibra

ASI1600MM Not Saving Images Consistently

Post by imalibra » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi,

I need help troubleshooting my ASI1600MM. It is not saving images consistently. I do not touch anything and let the whole set-up run for hours. I check to make sure images are being captured and saved. However, when I come back after a few hours, only a few images were really saved. For some reason some images save, and 90% do not.

Computer/software: Max OSX High Sierra
RAM: 8 Gigabytes
Camera: ASI1600MM-Pro
Software: ASICAP V1.4.1

Please note: When I did 15 minute individual exposures, no issues were noted. No problems at all. However, when I tried to do 200 second exposures (~3 mins) 90% of images did not save.

Yes, the recording button was on to save all exposures with no limit.

What is causing images to not be saved?
Is it a bandwidth problem?
Is it a software problem? If it is a software problem, why have I had no problems with 15 minute exposures with NO frames dropped? Why are frames now being dropped even though I haven't changed a single thing except exposure time?
Bandwidth and speed of download should not be the problem, as the computer should have several minutes to download the data, due to it being 3 minute sub-exposures.

Please help me understand what is happening.

Thank you

Software@ZWO

Re: ASI1600MM Not Saving Images Consistently

Post by Software@ZWO » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:11 am

Hi imalibra, I'm so sorry for the problem and We are trying hard to solve the problem. If there is any progress, we will tell you.
Thank you.
Mouling Song
ZWO Software Engineer
SuZhou China

imalibra

Post by imalibra » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:15 pm

Thank you for your response Mouling.

Can you please give me more information about what MIGHT be causing the problem?

What would you recommend I change? Bandwidth? Any other settings I should change while I try to troubleshoot the issue?

Thank you

Software@ZWO

Post by Software@ZWO » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:30 am

Hi imalibra, we found that when the mac monitor was turned off or in saver mode, the USB data transmission was also shut down.you might consider setting your Mac as follows: Open the "System Preferences" page, go to the "Energy Saver" page, and set "Turn display off after" to "Never". And then go to the "Desktop & Screen Saver" page and set "Start after" to "Never".The following pictures show how to set up. Thank you.

Mouling Song
ZWO Software Engineer
SuZhou China

James

Post by James » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi imalibra,

I've had exactly that happen to me and it's been as Mouling has suggested - if my screensaver kicks in then things start to go wrong - I leave my laptop set up to not sleep and with my mouse cursor moved over to the top left corner which I've set to stop the screensaver come on :)

James

Software@ZWO

Post by Software@ZWO » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:29 am

Hi James, that sounds great. :D :D :D
Mouling Song
ZWO Software Engineer
SuZhou China