Linux SDK under 64-bit Ubuntu 15.04

any question related to our SDK and driver

Moderators: yang, Support@ZWO

MarkM

Linux SDK under 64-bit Ubuntu 15.04

Post by MarkM » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:07 pm

I have a brand-new ASI120MC that I'm trying to run under 64-bit Ubuntu 15.04. Although oacapture recognizes the camera, it is unable to display a preview window, and just hangs while in the libASICamera library. I've tried using the SDK test_console application, and it also hangs. The call to getImageData() inside main_console.cpp never returns. I have enabled libusb debugging with the LIBUSB_DEBUG environment variable, which generates a great deal of general USB debugging information while test_console runs, but none of those debugging messages are obvious warning or error messages. (I've run the camera using FireCapture under Windows on this same machine, so I know both the camera and the computer are okay.)

Are there other people using Ubuntu 15.04 to drive oacapture or anything else derived from the SDK? Any further debugging suggestions?

Re: Linux SDK under 64-bit Ubuntu 15.04

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:20 am

Hi Mark
you'd better try on windows system at first to make sure the camera is OK
and then you can try to turn down "USB Traffic" on linux or a smaller resolution

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:13 pm

Thought I'd provide an update ...
I now have the Linux SDK working under Ubuntu 15.04. The key turned out to be changing the firmware in the camera from the factory default to the "compatibility" version that is distributed with the firmware update tool. Since that tool only runs under Windows, I booted to Windows 8.1, did the firmware update (although that was really painful because the driver is quite finicky under Windows 8.1), and then moved it back to Linux, where things went much more smoothly.

With the original firmware, the USB transfer of an image would hang up during USB bulk data transfer. The transfer would return an error code of EOVERFLOW, which then thoroughly confused libusb. Then the camera would attempt to reset the connection, and the whole thing would hang.

Works much better with the other firmware in the camera.

- MarkM

Sam

Post by Sam » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:52 am

Thanks for the update
some PC may have such compatible problem
but some don't, that's why we provide a compatible firmware
ZWO Founder
SuZhou China