Auto Exposure and Auto Gain Settings

any question related to our SDK and driver

Moderators: yang, chad, ray

Rainer

Auto Exposure and Auto Gain Settings

Post by Rainer » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:14 pm

Dear all,

I'm struggling with automatic exposure and automatic gain setting of my ZWO ASI 178MC camera (using Steve Marples Python bindings). Is it possible to use the builtin autoexposure and autogain algorithms also in still image capture mode? Background is the generation of time-laps videos over night with e.g. 20secs exposure every e.g. 30seconds. The video mode is then not possible because one cannot set a waiting time in between the frames. Thus by reverting to the still image capture mode, I have no idea how to use the autogain algorithm, to set the appropriate gain of the camera for a correctly exposed image (by leaving the exposure time constant to 20secs).

Thanks for the help,

Rainer

chad

Re: Auto Exposure and Auto Gain Settings

Post by chad » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:56 am

Hi Rainer,
Sorry, for the current, because the auto item need a series of images to analysis, so if it is in snap mode, on our side, because we did not know when the next frame will arrive, so our algorithm will have to wait for an unknow time, this will cause other serious problem. So it is only supported at video mode.
Sorry again.
Thanks
Chad
ZWO Driver Engineer
SuZhou China

sedonapete

Post by sedonapete » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:33 pm

I am using Astrophotography Tool as my image capture software. I am using an ASI 071 camera. I am trying to resolve some processing issues. APT allows the user to set the camera gain but does not give the gain range. Is it 0 to 100, or 1000? I had assumed 0 to 1000. Can anyone tell me how to set the camera gain please.

chad

Post by chad » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:35 am

Dear Sir,
For the gain range, different camera have the different range. Usually, you can use SharpCap or ASICap to get it.
Thanks
Chad
ZWO Driver Engineer
SuZhou China