SDK and Raspberry Pi 3 B+

any question related to our SDK and driver

Moderators: yang, ray, chad

easybob95

Re: SDK and Raspberry Pi 3 B+

Post by easybob95 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:30 pm

Hello Chad,

thanks. I will try this solution tomorrow.

I will give you feedback.

Have a nice day.

Alain

easybob95

Post by easybob95 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:12 pm

chad wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:05 am
Hi Alain,
Yes, we solved in the past, but we think it is not a appropriate way。
Then we find you can follow this way to load the library, then it should works:

#!/usr/bin/env python
from ctypes import *
#EFWlib = cdll.LoadLibrary('./libEFWFilter.so')
EFWlib = CDLL('libudev.so', mode = RTLD_GLOBAL)
EFWlib = CDLL('./libEFWFilter.so', mode = RTLD_GLOBAL)
EFWNum = EFWlib.EFWGetNum()
print "Detect %d efw exist!" % EFWNum

This is our old demo, it also could works. I think you can try it.
Thanks
Chad
Hello Chad,

i made tests and your solution works fine. I have just made some small changes :

import ctypes as c

zwoefwlib = c.CDLL('libudev.so',mode=c.RTLD_GLOBAL)
zwoefwlib = c.CDLL(library_file,mode=c.RTLD_GLOBAL)

Many thanks for your help !

Alain

chad

Post by chad » Thu May 09, 2019 2:27 am

Fine~
Thanks
Chad
ZWO Driver Engineer
SuZhou China

easybob95

Post by easybob95 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:36 am

Some more feedback about the odroid N2 board :

Remote control witn VNC is ok. I have installed TightVNC on the N2 and it works fine. TightVNC is starting at boot and i can control the N2 with my laptop (windows 10) using TightVNC viewer or RealVNC viewer.

Concerning ASI178 control with my python software, everything works fine. I have only one strange issue :

If exposition time is bellow 50ms, i have very very bad framerate. If exposure time is above 50ms, framerate is ok. I tried to set asi bandwidth to solve the problem but it does not solve the problem. Maybe a problem with USB3 management on the N2.

As my software works fine on my laptop (Core i5), i don't think the problem comes from my software. Anyway, it is not a big problem for my specific use.

Well, that's all for now.

Alain

chad

Post by chad » Mon May 13, 2019 2:06 am

Hi Alain,
what is your mean of "bad framerate" ?
Thanks
Chad
ZWO Driver Engineer
SuZhou China

easybob95

Post by easybob95 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:47 am

Well, when i mean bad framerate, i say 1 frame per second or worst. Sometimes, i need to wait 2 or 3 seconds to get a frame.

As soon as the exposure time is over 50ms, i get normal framerate (about 20 fps).

Concerning N2 CPU performances, they are really great. Real time treatment of the frames is much much quicker (about 5 times than raspberry does).

So, my tests are quite positives tests. Really interesting board. Armbian support has began and "official" Ubuntu mate support is really good.

It seems some people work on Mali G52 support and things will get better in the coming months.

If ZWO plans to make a more powerful ASIAIR in the future, the Odroid N2 is clearly a good candidate to replace raspberry pi.

Alain

chad

Post by chad » Wed May 15, 2019 3:57 am

Hi Alain,
Thanks.
For ASIAir, in fact, the narrowest place is not the performance of the processor, or the USB, but the transmission speed of wifi is too slow. Wifi is the big limiting factor for Air.
Thanks
Chad
ZWO Driver Engineer
SuZhou China

easybob95

Post by easybob95 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:53 am

Well, i was thinking about a new board who would need good CPU performance but maybe it is not useful for you.

I also have problem with WIFI, as i need to get the camera capture to be displayed on my control laptop. WIFI brings too low data transfer speed. For now, i use broadband over line to get the camera capture, it's a bit faster than WIFI but i still have to improve this point. N2 has USB3 but it is shared between the 4 connectors. I do have a WIFI dongle but it is n standard, not ac standard.

I have studied Odroid N2 informations about its GPIO. It is not really well documented.

I made tests 2 days ago with my EAA system, still using raspberry pi for the mount control and using this time Odroid N2 to control the camera. N2 was controlled with broadband over line and raspberry was controlled with WIFI from my laptop. It works perfectly.

I have decided to keep both cards, raspy for the mount and N2 for the camera. I avoid a lot of development time to replace raspy and i will use this time to make better mechanical system for the mount and write GOTO routines.

Odroid N2 is too young. It has huge potential but software support is far from raspy. But i must say that the camera control works fine (except the issue with capture time below 50ms) and it worked very quickly without major problem. A good point for the N2.

Alain