Fast guiding

Moderators: Sam, Sean.Wang

Fast guiding

Postby NightFly » Wed May 31, 2017 11:04 am

Hi,
what about a fast guiding system that would come built-in with the camera for HR deep sky imaging. It would be a killer camera for large Goto Dobsonians that have tracking, but with large errors. Tracking errors (and some of the waveplane tilt caused by atmospheric turbulence) could be compensated for by shifting the focal plane as long as the field of view is not too large (low geometrical distortion).
The imaging sensor itself would have to be mounted on a motorized xy stage with piezo drives, which would be controlled using a guiding sensor, at a rate of a few Hz.
Such systems are already available from competitors, but as far as I know they rely on a refractive device. I guess that it should be possible to make use of the anti-shake modules that are now common in consumer cameras?
Thanks!
Emmanuel.
NightFly

Re: Fast guiding

Postby Sam » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:53 am

Hi Emmanuel
I think you mean the AO device from our competitor right?
maybe one AO is easier to design than building in the camera itself
ZWO Founder
SuZhou China
Sam

Postby NightFly » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:52 am

I think you mean the AO device from our competitor right?

Yes (it is marketed as "Adaptive Optics", but it is actually simply a tip-tilt system running at 10Hz or so). Moreover for DSO observations the field of view will generally exceed the isokinetic angle, so it is indeed more like a fast guider.

maybe one AO is easier to design than building in the camera itself

May be. Still, I was thinking of those sensor modules with built-in antishake piezo engines, made for consumer cameras (here is one example). It may be possible to buy them at a reasonable cost, and interface them with a guiding camera instead of acceleration sensors? I was not able to find any information on that though.
Emmanuel.
NightFly

Postby Sam » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:43 am

this idea is interesting and will be our goal ;)
just maybe our current technology cannot make it

thanks for the idea!
ZWO Founder
SuZhou China
Sam

Postby Benni » Thu May 17, 2018 6:25 pm

I have an Ao from starlight xpress.

From using it I can say the following:
The seeing is unfortunately still much faster that the 2,5 hz of the ao. So the challenge is to make the ao very fast. Then the next challenge is to have a guide cam that is sensitive enough to find guide stars below 0.5 seconds exposure and can transmit that to the pc... and the last challenge is the software..

If the system always runs after the seeing, it will correct after some time, but then the star is already somewhere else. In that case, the system does not achive much.

As for mount errors:

With zwo cameras one can exclude these by doing lucky imaging even with deep sky objects.
So unless one solves the problem of a really fast very low latency guiding system that can adapt to seeing, there is not much need for an adaptive optics.

They may have been useful at times when ccd sensors only allowed 15 minutes exposure to capture enough signal. But with zwo sensors they are not that much of use, at least if one has a "slow" correction of 2.5 hz or so...

If zwo would come up with a working solution here that is really fast enough to reduce seing problems, then it would be a great achivement...
Benni

Postby Sean.Wang » Fri May 18, 2018 6:19 am

Thanks, buddy. 10HZ will be much better, if we can do 60HZ, wow, that would be a very precise device.
ZWO | Marketing Consultant
SuZhou China

motto:
Don't face one's fate, can't be a real man;
Don't know manners, can't be gentle;
Don't know meaning behind the words, can't understand man's heart.
Sean.Wang

Return to Feature Requests