Tip-tilt adaptive optics needed

Moderators: Sam, Sean.Wang

Benni

Re: Tip-tilt adaptive optics needed

Post by Benni » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:07 pm

I guess an active optics would only make sense in such a configuration.
One reason is this:

Many telescopes, for example Newtonians with flatteners, need a backfocus of 55mm (i.e that of a typical dslr with t2).
This has practical reasons. One wants to put the chip as close to the secondary as possible in order to avoid vignetting.

An active optics, if one puts it in front of a guider and a filter wheel simply takes too much space. It therefore is only good for some refractors, Schmidt Cassegrains or Richey Chretiens.

But a chip sitting on piezo elements that can move one or two milimeter sideways, with some guiding and seeing correction, does not take much backfocus.

But that would work only if there is a separate guiding chip on the same board.

And with filters, a separate guiding chip next to the main chip works only if the filters are not covering the guiding chip...

And that then works only if the filters are sitting very close in front of the main chip.

I think one can build a filter wheel into the camera such that the wheel does not obstruct the guiding chip.

Maybe one can put some baffles around the main chip and the guiding chip in order to protect the two chips from getting stray light...

Such a camera, (integrated filter wheel, self guiding, and guiding chip is not obstructed by filters) is certainly possible, I think...

This would work with 55 mm backfocus on newtonians or even less.... and it would be considerably lightweight. There would no need for heavy glass and metal like in a separate active optics unit or with an off axis guider...
and the piezo elements could correct seeing at 100 hz. Perhaps the camera may have some hardware that it can make some guiding on its own without the need to download every image to a pc...

Then one could almost go to the optical limit of the telescope...
Almost because seeing also contains blow ups and these can not be corrected by piezo elements, but they are considerably rare...

Sean.Wang

Post by Sean.Wang » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:29 am

Benni wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:07 pm
I guess an active optics would only make sense in such a configuration.
One reason is this:

Many telescopes, for example Newtonians with flatteners, need a backfocus of 55mm (i.e that of a typical dslr with t2).
This has practical reasons. One wants to put the chip as close to the secondary as possible in order to avoid vignetting.

An active optics, if one puts it in front of a guider and a filter wheel simply takes too much space. It therefore is only good for some refractors, Schmidt Cassegrains or Richey Chretiens.

But a chip sitting on piezo elements that can move one or two milimeter sideways, with some guiding and seeing correction, does not take much backfocus.

But that would work only if there is a separate guiding chip on the same board.

And with filters, a separate guiding chip next to the main chip works only if the filters are not covering the guiding chip...

And that then works only if the filters are sitting very close in front of the main chip.

I think one can build a filter wheel into the camera such that the wheel does not obstruct the guiding chip.

Maybe one can put some baffles around the main chip and the guiding chip in order to protect the two chips from getting stray light...

Such a camera, (integrated filter wheel, self guiding, and guiding chip is not obstructed by filters) is certainly possible, I think...

This would work with 55 mm backfocus on newtonians or even less.... and it would be considerably lightweight. There would no need for heavy glass and metal like in a separate active optics unit or with an off axis guider...
and the piezo elements could correct seeing at 100 hz. Perhaps the camera may have some hardware that it can make some guiding on its own without the need to download every image to a pc...

Then one could almost go to the optical limit of the telescope...
Almost because seeing also contains blow ups and these can not be corrected by piezo elements, but they are considerably rare...
Thank you so much, your suggestion is very valuable to us.
ZWO | Marketing Consultant
SuZhou China

motto:
Don't face one's fate, can't be a real man;
Don't know manners, can't be gentle;
Don't know meaning behind the words, can't understand man's heart.

Benni

Post by Benni » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:00 am

Well,
if you are developing it and make much money from my proposed camera design, don't forget to send me a working camera...

Would really like to work with such a thing....

Currently, I only have an asi 1600 which is also very good....

Sean.Wang

Post by Sean.Wang » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:09 am

Benni wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:00 am
Well,
if you are developing it and make much money from my proposed camera design, don't forget to send me a working camera...

Would really like to work with such a thing....

Currently, I only have an asi 1600 which is also very good....
oh, yes, no problem. we didn't do that now, your idea is great!
ZWO | Marketing Consultant
SuZhou China

motto:
Don't face one's fate, can't be a real man;
Don't know manners, can't be gentle;
Don't know meaning behind the words, can't understand man's heart.

Benni

Post by Benni » Thu May 09, 2019 3:47 am

Thanks for the offer.

I currently use an starlight express adaptive optics. I could put the camera on and compare how the two adaptive optics work.
I currently use a celestron edge 800 and a Ts 65 flat field APO. Adaptive optics would benefit more from higher focal lengths, like on my edge.

However, I live in munich with much light pollution and I don't have clear skies very often.
And my edge sometimes needs collimation...

Furthermore, I only do, i compared to other astrobin results, only average quality photos of dso's,
So there are certainly better photographers around who have sites with less light pollution who could test this camera...

But it would be interesting if one can do away with this heavy sx ao...

For the design:

It may be better if only the main chip is moved on piezo crystals and the movement of the guiding chip is done in software. Then it is cheaper. And one can put the main chip in some kind of housing together with the filter wheel, to prevent straylight, whereas the guiding chip sits directly next to this structure. I do not know if the guiding chip would benefit much from cooling. If one does not see additional stars, then one can save the cooling for the guiding chip too and simply place it next to the long end of the main chip plus wheel.
I guess that should be doable with an M48 opening. But I am no designer...

Benni

Post by Benni » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:05 pm

I want to note that there are now cameras with sensor image stabilisation:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/779913205 ... -hybrid-af

Now you need to reduce this 5 axis thing to 2 axes.
Then one can put a filterwheel directly on top of that sensor,
Finally make a housing for that wheel to prevent light going in, and put a guiding chip directly next to that wheel housing, that both guiding and main sensor can get into focus.
The guiding chip does not even need to move. I guess that can be done in software. Important is that the main chip can move.

And that the sensor movement must be fast. At best 100hz of course. Coupled with a high resolution sensor, one gets basically a scientific device for which seing is no problem.

Benni

Post by Benni » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:00 pm

Perhaps one could even leave it with 5 axes movement and use the other axes as automatic tilters, perhaps with some software that computes the optimal directional tilt of the sensor for a telescope and then the rest of the axes are used for guiding, corrected by a fixed chip that sits nearby, outside the housing of the main sensor and filter wheel.

But i guess the cooling is then difficult. the tilter must perhaps move the entire unit of sensor and peltier.

if there are problems to get the guiding sensor next to the wheel housing, i guess one can place a small prism on the top of the internal filter wheel housing. the prism can direct the light somewhere else where the guiding sensor sits in the correct distance.