What could be going on with my 174MM cooled

Post your Deepsky images taken with ZWO Products here.

What could be going on with my 174MM cooled

Postby Stepping Beyond » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:13 pm

I 've had this camera almost a year and this is the 1st I noticed of this object around the Orion nebula before I had my fine focus ,I didn't capture this last year when I first got the camera , any ideas, besides being out of focus ? what's the malfunction ? I'm getting tired of getting these things in my frames that I can't use. They don't show in every frame but, they persist in showing up and I've taken at multiple exposure times and sequences. I've got a plethora of data with various things in them. Help please ?
Attachments
ufo.jpg
Stepping Beyond

Re: What could be going on with my 174MM cooled

Postby poobie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:06 am

pretty sure that's just a satellite, and there's a lot of them in that orbit. One of the hazards of shooting the orion region, I'm afraid. The solution is to shoot lots of frames, and let the stacking algorithm get rid of them, or manually cull the frames that have them. As sensitive as the 174mm is, you can probably get away with lots of really short exposures, and pretty much any of the modern stacking applications will just magic them away.
poobie

Re: What could be going on with my 174MM cooled

Postby wimvb » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:19 pm

If an object like this shows up in some exposures but not all, and in different places, it's most likely a satellite. A more aggressive pixel rejection method during stacking, usually takes care of it. If traces persist in the stacked image, you can try removing it from the stack.
Only if the object shows up at the exact same location in all exposures, would I be worried.
As for the focus issue: a Bahtinov mask together with streaming during focusing, or a motorised focuser controlled by your image capturing software, should improve this.
Wim

cameras: ASI 174MM-Cool, ASI 120MM (guiding)
telescope: Skywatcher 150PDS, SW ST80 (guiding)
mount: Skywatcher AZ EQ6 GT
software: INDI Ekos/Kstars, PixInsight
wimvb

Return to Deepsky Images