driver problem

any question related to our SDK and driver

Moderators: yang, chad, ray

Benni

Re: driver problem

Post by Benni » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi,
I just wanted to note that some while ago, I have upgraded to windows 10. The problem then went away.

Only under Windows 7, I had these strange disconnects.

KimRichards

Post by KimRichards » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:09 am

I have similar instability which I am trying to troubleshoot. Do u have a recommended maximum length for USB3 cable?

chad

Post by chad » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:14 am

Hi Sir,
Many users have the same problem as you, and hope that we will give the longest wire length.
However, this is really difficult to have a certain value.
As we know, The wire has resistance, and it is affected by the material of the wire, the cross-sectional area, and the length. In this way, although the wires are all USB3.0, the resistance of different wires is different. So if it is the same computer, the lengths that different wires may allow are also different.
Is it finished? no。
Computer is the most important equipment in our system. So the computer also have a big factors. Even for the same computer, for desktop computers, the performance of the front USB port and the rear USB port will generally differ. There are usually a little differences in voltage and supply current. In addition, some system settings, as well as different computer manufacturers, are potential problems.
For most of the USB device, these differences don't cause too much problems, and they are all within acceptable limits. But for us, because the camera needs to maximize the performance of the USB, these little differences will have big different results.
As for Benni's problem, I think it should be a problem of OS system settings.
Thanks
Chad
ZWO Driver Engineer
SuZhou China

Benni

Post by Benni » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:53 am

I think, well my thinkpad,
officially, it does not support windows 7. But I ran Windows 7 nevertheless on it.

Then I had the problem with the wire. This could have been be a small incompatibility with the chipset. Or something with the driver. I do not know.

It appeared to occur mostly during winter at temperatures below zero.

Now its summer, with windows 10 it did not occur again. lets see if the problem comes back when the temperatures go down below zero....

chad

Post by chad » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:14 am

Yes, it is very difficult to determine the cause.
I remember there is a user and he always meet the problems with camera failure.
After he started his shooting plan every night, the camera will stop running after running for 2 or 3 hours. Sometimes, the camera will run normal all night.
He used to think it is the problem of camera's hardware, and send it back, we checked, it works normal. And we also did a production test. but when the camera is send back to him, the problem is still at there. He complained to me. And we tested all the doubt point, such as temperature, USB connection, power supply, etc. But all of them do not the reason. These tests have not made any progress until everyone is very anxious.
Until one day, he found that the problem seemed to be related to his surveillance camera. He use this surveilance camera to watch his system. Every time, when he opened this camera, the USB will have problems afterwards and our camera will not work. After he changed the camera for surveillance, everything was fine.
Now, personal computers are so many, it is impossible to have two personal computers with the same hardware and software. For us, most of the time, we only could help you to test if the camera itself is normal.
Thanks
Chad
ZWO Driver Engineer
SuZhou China