Adapting the ZWO EAF to a Moonlight Focuser

Focusers, Filters, Barlows etc..

Moderator: Sam

hagermi1

Adapting the ZWO EAF to a Moonlight Focuser

Post by hagermi1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:37 pm

Is it possible to adapt the ZWO EAF to a Moonlight Focuser. I failed to figure this out with the supplied bracket and hardware. I have a Moonlight focuser on a Skywatcher MN190. Please help, if you have suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

Moson

Re: Adapting the ZWO EAF to a Moonlight Focuser

Post by Moson » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:40 am

Can you take a photo of your Moonlight Focuser for us,and then we can help you to figure out this problem.

hagermi1

Post by hagermi1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:19 pm

Moonlight-Hager1.jpg
Moonlight-Hager1.jpg
Sorry, I'm struggling with how to add images of the focuser, removed from the MN190. Hope this works.
Attachments
Moonlight-Hager2.jpg

hagermi1

Post by hagermi1 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:21 pm

FYI, I also made an attempt to restore the original, Skywatcher provided, focuser, to the MN190. Attached the EAF to the original focuser and it partially worked but, the focuser is so stiff, while the captive, extension tube is slips, in contrast. Those two flaws made it impossible to use the EAF reliably. Hence, the reason I bought the Moonlight focuser in the first place. I am now going back to re-installing the Moonlight and will have to use it manually unless you have an adaptor option that works for those focusers?

Please help, if you can.

Thanks

Moson

Post by Moson » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:00 am

Sorry we haven't test this focuser. You can check the bottom structure of your focuser to see if it matches the drawing which we send attachment to you. If you are confirm that it can be used with EAF, please let us know! Thanks in advanced!
Attachments
EAF-drawing.jpg

lechleiter

Post by lechleiter » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:19 pm

I'm also trying to custom adapt the ZWO EAR to the Moonlite focuser. I plan on attaching bracket to OTA. My concern is the diameter of the fine focus on the Moonlite is 3mm and the smallest flexible coupler supplied with the EAF is 4 mm. Is there another coupler I can obtain or will the 1mm mismatch not be a problem.

Support@ZWO

Post by Support@ZWO » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:24 am

Sorry ZWO does not have 3mm flexible coupler but I will convey this message to our devs and they will consider this.
Suzhou China

cengell

Post by cengell » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:04 pm

lechleiter, I just looked and on Amazon, USA you can order a 3mm x 5mm coupler and other sizes as well. I would suggest that you find a Flexible Coupling as it's the same design that ZWO is using and would give much more than a straight coupler.

For my Tak FS-102 I found a 8mm (Tak shaft size ) to 5mm (ZWO EAF) Flexible Coupler and works great! Sorry to say that I did not see a 3mm to 5mm Flexible Coupler?

If you use your 4mm to 5mm Flexible Coupler what will happen is when the EAF motor shaft rotates it will be off center and cause a possible issue with the stepper motor or your focus shaft but with the Flexible Coupler is will flex and reduce the possible issues? Ideally find a flex coupler that's the correct size.

Last you could maybe find at a hardware store an 4mm insert that would get the hold diam closer to the 3mm?

Good luck.
Christopher

Support@ZWO

Post by Support@ZWO » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:24 am

Yes, lechleiter, I recommend you buy a flexible coupler that could connect to your focuser shaft as well.
Suzhou China