EAF, unable to detect

Focusers, Filters, Barlows etc..

Moderators: Sam, Sean.Wang

ThatsMyCoffee

EAF, unable to detect

Post by ThatsMyCoffee » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:42 pm

I lost all connection to my EAF. Not detected by any of my software. Power light remains lit and there were some random beeps, but no operation possible.

Tried to update the firmware, and the EAF was detected as a "C51 Bootload". I was able to successfully update the firmware. This has restored function and I'm now on 3.1.7.

Has anyone else had this happen? Lost a whole night because of it. Very not impressed...

Katherine.Tsai

Re: EAF, unable to detect

Post by Katherine.Tsai » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:01 am

Hi Sir/Madam,
Could you tell me what software did you try?

junluo168

Post by junluo168 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:07 pm

I have the same issue happen to me yesterday. (Oct 12, 2019) EAF can not be detected any more although it worked the day before. I had reconnected the power and USB several times and no luck. I had tried ASICAP, ASCOM Diagnostics and the SkyX, none of them can "detect" EAF. Since ASCOM can not see it, I guess none of other host applications would not be able to see it.

Yes this is very frustrating if I can not trust it to work reliably.

Here is error from ASCOM:

Create Creating device
Connected Connecting to device
Connected Trying Connected
Connected Trying Link: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Error System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at System.Dynamic.ExcepInfo.GetException()
at System.Dynamic.ComRuntimeHelpers.CheckThrowException(Int32 hresult, ExcepInfo& excepInfo, UInt32 argErr, String message)
at CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , ComObject , Boolean )
at System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecute2[T0,T1,TRet](CallSite site, T0 arg0, T1 arg1)
at CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , Object , Boolean )
at System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecute2[T0,T1,TRet](CallSite site, T0 arg0, T1 arg1)
at ASCOM.DriverConnect.ConnectForm.btnConnect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverConnect\ConnectForm.cs:line 259
Dispose Disposing of device
Dispose Dispose is not implemented inthis driver
ReleaseComObject Releasing COM instance
ReleaseComObject Completed release. Count: 0
GC Collect Starting garbage collection
GC Collect Completed garbage collection

junluo168

Post by junluo168 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:19 pm

BTW, the EAF in question won't respond to hand controller either. I have another EAF that is working and it can be controlled by the same hand controller. I'm going to swap the EAFs. I only have this EAF for less than a month. I think it is still under warranty, However the reliability of such unit in definitely concerning.

Jun

Katherine.Tsai

Post by Katherine.Tsai » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:57 am

junluo168 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:19 pm
BTW, the EAF in question won't respond to hand controller either. I have another EAF that is working and it can be controlled by the same hand controller. I'm going to swap the EAFs. I only have this EAF for less than a month. I think it is still under warranty, However the reliability of such unit in definitely concerning.

Jun
Hi Jun,
Can you see any new device show up in the device manager when you connect EAF to the computer?
If there is none, I think the EAF need to be sent back for repiar.

junluo168

Post by junluo168 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:21 am

Hi, Katherine:

Thanks for your reply. I believe that EAF is dead. Everything else being the same, I swapped in another EAF I have and it worked as expected. The EAF that had stopped working can not be detected by computer and does not respond to hand controller.

How do I contact ZWO in US to have it repaired or replaced? I only had this unit for less than 3 months. It should still be under warranty,

Thanks.

Jun

Katherine.Tsai

Post by Katherine.Tsai » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:02 am

Hi Jun,
There is a way to confirm whether the EAF is dead, which is to check it in the device manager, also if the EAF is detected and connected, you will hear a sound when EAF is connect to the computer, If there is no sound, please conctact the store in which you buy it from, if you buy it from ZWO website, you can contact support@zwoptical.com about this problem. If not you may need to contact the local dealer.

junluo168

Post by junluo168 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:29 pm

I bought it in July from OPT in the US. I had reached out to them to see what is the next step.

The EAF can not be detected by several computers I connected to. Only a red LED comes on when connected to power. There is no beep and it does not show up anywhere. It does not respond to hand controller either.

Katherine.Tsai

Post by Katherine.Tsai » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:19 am

OK, if the EAF cannot be recognized by computer, it need to be sent back for repair.

junluo168

Post by junluo168 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:52 am

Contacted OPT and got a DMA# to send the unit back for repair or replacement. Thanks.