EFW Filter Wheel Alignment Issue

Focusers, Filters, Barlows etc..

Moderators: Sam, Sean.Wang

Blaze

EFW Filter Wheel Alignment Issue

Post by Blaze » Wed May 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Hello,
I'm using brand new EFW (7 positions, 36 mm unmounted) for few months and from the beginning encountered an issue with poor filter alignment accuracy. Took me a while to understand why lights not calibrated properly.
The issue explained exactly in following threads:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9862
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7955

Tried to open the wheel and tighten all screws as advised in first thread - issue still exists.
Tried to perform init using 'Tool' utility as advised in second thread - issue still exists.

Attaching L channel master flat and calibrated light that demonstrates the issue.
Other filters suffering from same alignment accuracy issues.
MasterFlat_ISO.jpg
L master flat
lum.jpg
calibrated L channel
Please advise.

Blaze

Re: EFW Filter Wheel Alignment Issue

Post by Blaze » Tue May 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Wheel under warranty.

Rodd

Post by Rodd » Thu May 23, 2019 4:21 pm

Blaze--and ZWO staff. I have the same issue and have posted as much, twice. The second post was removed.

I am with Blaze--please respond and assist.
Rodd

Blaze

Post by Blaze » Sat May 25, 2019 8:35 pm

Hi Rodd,
I'm trying to resolve the issue with their technical support via email, but without success.
Their latest advise was to configure wheel to work unidirectional, however position offset after rotation still exists.
Just answered them via email. Will update here if any solution will be found.

Rodd

Post by Rodd » Wed May 29, 2019 2:00 pm

Thanks Blaze--I find their support to be distressingly lacking. The funny thing is, the filter wheel problem was not an issue for me up until the other day. Before that, the filter wheel alignment was accurate enough to allow me to use the same flats for months (until new dust or condensation or whatever appeared ).

Unfortunately I have had nothing but rain and clouds for over a month, so I can't even try the unidirectional setting.
Rodd

Blaze

Post by Blaze » Thu May 30, 2019 8:06 am

You welcome :)

If you want to test it in home environment you can test it using following method:

Rotate to problematic filter
Take ~10 flats
Rotate to other filters
Go back to problematic filter
Take another ~10 flats
Stack flats separately
Calibrate one stack with another

If positioning after rotation was identical to initial you will see clean frame, otherwise artifacts will appear.

Rodd

Post by Rodd » Fri May 31, 2019 3:59 pm

Thanks Blaze---Sounds interesting. If I get a cloudy night that isn't raining, I'll give it a try. It is always hard on the spirit to get everything up and running without the promise of getting any data!
Rodd

Blaze

Post by Blaze » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:59 am

You welcome, Rodd.
I'm still trying to resolve the issue with technical support.
Currently waiting while their EFW team investigating the issue.
Asked to return the wheel and receive a refund - spent too much time trying to get things work correctly.
Found their support to be distressingly lacking as well. It is a good example how company lose their customers.

Meanwhile ordered Atik EFW - won't miss warm summer nights with good weather and clear sky because faulty wheel.
Works like a charm.

Blaze

Post by Blaze » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:53 am

Their official answer after almost month of "investigation" :)
I am sorry about this, but I have to tell you even if it is replaced, there will still be the same problem for you, it is a normal tolerance, which is acceptable for us and most of users.
And it has been a long time since the purchase. (3.5 month ago)
We offer a two-year warranty but replacements and returns are not included.
We suggest you sell this filter wheel in your side

Rodd

Post by Rodd » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:23 pm

SHAME!!!!! Shame on ZWO for being ignorant of astrophotography. Who ever said that was a fool. First off, it is NOT a tolerance issue--when it happens NO ONE would be satisfied with it because it destroys all flats and no quality image can be produced. Second, 3.5 months IS NOT a long time with weather and the Moon, I sometimes get 1 day a month to image--so 3.5 months is a very, very short period of time. besides there is a 2 year warranty and I have news for you ZWO--your warranry obviously sucks!

THE FILTER WHEEL DOES NOR WORK!!!! Your product is inferior, or defective. Believe me, I will pass this one to ALL I know. My message will be stay away from ZWO because their products are cheap and do not work AS ADVERTISED. That's right, when I bought this camera I was told that the filter wheel would be accurate enough to take flats--I was told by the vendors and by ZWO people on this forum.

Thanks ZWO--for having the worst customer service of any vendor I have used--and I have used A LOT. Cheap Crap. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Sean--you are not blameless. You are weak and toe the company line. pathetic.
Rodd