Astrophotography has never been easier

Moderators: yang, Sam, lancer jiang, Ji.zwo

Sam

Re: ASIAIR User Feedback

Post by Sam » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:08 am

dekkerjj wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:37 am
Dear zwo,
The ASIAIR works perfectly with my Skywatcher EQ8.
Only what is missing are the buttons in the ASIAIR screen to control the mount.
That is possible in Sky Safari but to put the object in the middle with my ASI295MS pro for Plate solving miss the operation of the buttons in the ASIAIR screen.
What is the reason that I can not see it in combination with my EQ8 ???
we need more detail info
please email us :Ji(at)zwoptical.com
ZWO Founder
SuZhou China

Sam

Post by Sam » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:11 am

Foreur wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:05 pm
France
iPad and iPhone 5 SE, both 128Gb and IOS 12.1.4
Celestron AVX with StarSense and RS232 port on HC
ASI071MC Pro and ASI183MM Pro
EFW Mini (and OAG)

- First used ASIair with ASI071 standalone on an old JMI NGT 18" with tracking only, worked like a charm, plate solving impressed me, fast and correct! (this was in La Reunion, southern sky!)
- Then tested on the AVX with ASI071, including SkySafari 6+ V6.3.0.0, all worked fine, except the "sync failed" after plate solve (haven't figured that out yet!)
Driving the mount from ASIair App or SkySafari worked perfectly
- Then tested the ASI183 with EFW on the AVX in day time, all fine, could even drive the EFW though the USB port on the Camera, from the ASIair App
Note: haven't yet tried to update the version of the firmware, running 1.52 currently
Question: for the AVX, mount selection, should I use "Celestron SLT/CPC/CGE..." or "SkyWatcher SynScan" ?
Celestron Nexstar is for AltAz, and I don't know if there is an EQMOD for the AVX.
Last, having an electric focuser would be super, as well as doing live stacking on ASIair !!!
And being able to connect from a PC to ASIair (in Wi-Fi) would be useful too (ASIair would be kind of a "concentrator" and local intelligence).
But not just to retrieve images, also to use Astro software like SharpCap, AstroArt, MaximDL etc...
Keep doing good products, looking forward to hear from Sam or the other ZWO staff members, thanks, JC
yes, please test the latest version to see if any such issue exist
you can also feedback to our facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ASIAIR/
ZWO Founder
SuZhou China

SNR1

Post by SNR1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:08 pm

TCampbell,

Hello, I just purchased the ASIair and I too have a Losmandy Gemini 2 (G11). I just got back from NEAF so I have not yet had a chance to even get the ASIair out of the box but was curious about your connections on the Gemini 2 with the ASIair. Can you give me some greater details as to how you connected the ASIair? Pictures maybe? I will be using the ASI 290Mini Guide cam and the ASI 294MC Pro as my imaging camera. Whatever help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I live in West Virginia. Thanks so much... Clear skies!

TCampbell

Post by TCampbell » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi SNR1 - I just noticed your message.

The easiest way to connect the ASIair to a Gemini 2 is via a USB cable. You'll need the same type of USB cable used to connect a USB printer (USB Type-A male to USB Type-B male connection).

The USB Type-B end connects to the port labeled "USB" on the Gemini 2 (not the port labeled USB-A). You will not need to use the supplied USB-RS232 Serial adapter cable (this will work, but isn't necessary because the Gemini 2 has an integrated USB port so you can use a direct connection.)

You'll also need to make sure the ASIair is configured to the correct interface. This interface will almost certainly be /dev/ttyACM0. See:

The ASIair runs a variant of Linux. In Linux all "devices" appear as files in the "/dev" folder. A "tty" type device is basically a serial interface (from the days of serial tele-type terminals). "ACM" stands for "Abstract Control Model" and has to do with how the interface works. The "0" at the end means it's the first one found (if you plugged in more then they would be /dev/ttyACM1, /dev/ttyACM2, etc.) But as you will likely only connect one mount (because the ASIair doesn't support multiple mounts connected simultaneously) it should be /dev/ttyACM0.

The ASIair does not (yet) have a polar alignment module (hopefully that will be coming) -- but you will want an accurate polar alignment for good imaging results. (I currently use a PoleMaster ... but that means I still have to use my laptop -- at least long enough to do the alignment and then I can put it away). I am hoping ZWO adds this capability and that would end the need for a laptop completely. The Gemini 2 does have a built-in Polar Alignment Correction (PAC) system. Losmandy does have a video on how this works on their Losmandy YouTube channel (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYiHldJ5CKA )

Alternatives to PoleMaster are SharpCap Pro and also KStars/Ekos (KStars/Ekos is free) has a built-in polar alignment module (the one in KStars/Ekos is pretty slick since the pole solving is completely automated ... only the mechanical adjustment of the mount at the very end is manually performed.)

PHD2 has a polar alignment capability ... but it's really based on drift-alignment and this method takes time to perform (the methods that use plate-solving are much faster.)

The plate-solving methods (used by KStars/Ekos, SharpCap Pro, and PoleMaster) all require that you have a clear view of the sky near the celestial pole. The PHD2 method (that uses drift alignment) does *not* require a clear view near the celestial pole ... but does need a clear view near the celestial equator (but this method takes longer to perform.)

We'll have to wait and see what ZWO has planned for polar alignment.

Ji.zwo

Post by Ji.zwo » Sun May 05, 2019 3:23 am

TCampbell wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:59 pm
Hi SNR1 - I just noticed your message.

The easiest way to connect the ASIair to a Gemini 2 is via a USB cable. You'll need the same type of USB cable used to connect a USB printer (USB Type-A male to USB Type-B male connection).

The USB Type-B end connects to the port labeled "USB" on the Gemini 2 (not the port labeled USB-A). You will not need to use the supplied USB-RS232 Serial adapter cable (this will work, but isn't necessary because the Gemini 2 has an integrated USB port so you can use a direct connection.)

You'll also need to make sure the ASIair is configured to the correct interface. This interface will almost certainly be /dev/ttyACM0. See:

The ASIair runs a variant of Linux. In Linux all "devices" appear as files in the "/dev" folder. A "tty" type device is basically a serial interface (from the days of serial tele-type terminals). "ACM" stands for "Abstract Control Model" and has to do with how the interface works. The "0" at the end means it's the first one found (if you plugged in more then they would be /dev/ttyACM1, /dev/ttyACM2, etc.) But as you will likely only connect one mount (because the ASIair doesn't support multiple mounts connected simultaneously) it should be /dev/ttyACM0.

The ASIair does not (yet) have a polar alignment module (hopefully that will be coming) -- but you will want an accurate polar alignment for good imaging results. (I currently use a PoleMaster ... but that means I still have to use my laptop -- at least long enough to do the alignment and then I can put it away). I am hoping ZWO adds this capability and that would end the need for a laptop completely. The Gemini 2 does have a built-in Polar Alignment Correction (PAC) system. Losmandy does have a video on how this works on their Losmandy YouTube channel (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYiHldJ5CKA )

Alternatives to PoleMaster are SharpCap Pro and also KStars/Ekos (KStars/Ekos is free) has a built-in polar alignment module (the one in KStars/Ekos is pretty slick since the pole solving is completely automated ... only the mechanical adjustment of the mount at the very end is manually performed.)

PHD2 has a polar alignment capability ... but it's really based on drift-alignment and this method takes time to perform (the methods that use plate-solving are much faster.)

The plate-solving methods (used by KStars/Ekos, SharpCap Pro, and PoleMaster) all require that you have a clear view of the sky near the celestial pole. The PHD2 method (that uses drift alignment) does *not* require a clear view near the celestial pole ... but does need a clear view near the celestial equator (but this method takes longer to perform.)

We'll have to wait and see what ZWO has planned for polar alignment.
Thanks so much for you feedback.
The PA is coming in v1.2. The end of month.
ZWO | Tech Support
SuZhou China

TCampbell

Post by TCampbell » Sun May 05, 2019 3:49 pm

Hi Sam, I had considered your response to this previous suggestion on WiFi config:
5. I did see that I can change the WiFi SSID. Can I also change the WiFI password? (I did not notice an option for that).
no currently, because there is no reset button, that is terrible if you cannot remember the password
we think most of the time, you don't need to change the password
It occurs to me that you could create an account on the ASIair which, instead of getting a shell (/bin/bash) at login, would instead get a config menu (e.g. something like raspi-config ... but you could call it asiair-config) then create an entry in /etc/passwd that looks like:

Code: Select all

asiair::1001:100:ASIair Utility Account:/home/asiair:/usr/local/bin/asiair-config
This would allow users to plug the device into an HDMI display and a USB keyboard, log in as 'asiair' and instead of getting a shell, they'd get your menu utility ... which could allow them to reset the device to factory defaults.

wesnikon

Post by wesnikon » Mon May 06, 2019 10:20 am

Germany
Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro / EQMOD
ASI294 MC Pro / ASI120 MM Mini
No filter wheel yet

Got a couple of hours of clear sky last night and ran my first imaging test on the ASIAir and have to say I'm impressed, my best shot of NGC 7023 to date.

Observations / Suggestions :

- I'm yet another PoleMaster user and bringing the laptop for just the PA is annoying
- Unfortunately SkySafari doesn't support EQMOD, I'm aware that ZWO can't do anything about that, but being a software developer myself I'm wondering if the ASIAir could mimic the SynScan interface and convert commands to EQMOD - just an idea off the top of my head
- I can't access image files over WiFi, the connection is established ok, but there's no share \\ASIAIR
- Pulling the Micro SD from the ASIAir seems to confuse it, I had it reporting that there was no space available on disk - with 30 light subs total stored...
- It was challenging to focus with a medium sized star and a Bahtinov mask, there's just one zoom level; normally I'd center a bright star, but those are not in the catalogue and SkySafari doesn't support EQMOD, catch-22

wesnikon

Post by wesnikon » Mon May 06, 2019 10:20 am

Germany
Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro / EQMOD
ASI294 MC Pro / ASI120 MM Mini
No filter wheel yet

Got a couple of hours of clear sky last night and ran my first imaging test on the ASIAir and have to say I'm impressed, my best shot of NGC 7023 to date.

Observations / Suggestions :

- I'm yet another PoleMaster user and bringing the laptop for just the PA is annoying
- Unfortunately SkySafari doesn't support EQMOD, I'm aware that ZWO can't do anything about that, but being a software developer myself I'm wondering if the ASIAir could mimic the SynScan interface and convert commands to EQMOD - just an idea off the top of my head
- I can't access image files over WiFi, the connection is established ok, but there's no share \\ASIAIR
- Pulling the Micro SD from the ASIAir seems to confuse it, I had it reporting that there was no space available on disk - with 30 light subs total stored...
- It was challenging to focus with a medium sized star and a Bahtinov mask, there's just one zoom level; normally I'd center a bright star, but those are not in the catalogue and SkySafari doesn't support EQMOD, catch-22

Foreur

Post by Foreur » Mon May 27, 2019 8:37 am

Sam wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:11 am
Foreur wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:05 pm
France
iPad and iPhone 5 SE, both 128Gb and IOS 12.1.4
Celestron AVX with StarSense and RS232 port on HC
ASI071MC Pro and ASI183MM Pro
EFW Mini (and OAG)

- First used ASIair with ASI071 standalone on an old JMI NGT 18" with tracking only, worked like a charm, plate solving impressed me, fast and correct! (this was in La Reunion, southern sky!)
- Then tested on the AVX with ASI071, including SkySafari 6+ V6.3.0.0, all worked fine, except the "sync failed" after plate solve (haven't figured that out yet!)
Driving the mount from ASIair App or SkySafari worked perfectly
- Then tested the ASI183 with EFW on the AVX in day time, all fine, could even drive the EFW though the USB port on the Camera, from the ASIair App
Note: haven't yet tried to update the version of the firmware, running 1.52 currently
Question: for the AVX, mount selection, should I use "Celestron SLT/CPC/CGE..." or "SkyWatcher SynScan" ?
Celestron Nexstar is for AltAz, and I don't know if there is an EQMOD for the AVX.
Last, having an electric focuser would be super, as well as doing live stacking on ASIair !!!
And being able to connect from a PC to ASIair (in Wi-Fi) would be useful too (ASIair would be kind of a "concentrator" and local intelligence).
But not just to retrieve images, also to use Astro software like SharpCap, AstroArt, MaximDL etc...
Keep doing good products, looking forward to hear from Sam or the other ZWO staff members, thanks, JC
yes, please test the latest version to see if any such issue exist
you can also feedback to our facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ASIAIR/
Thank you Sam!
I have updated both ZWO and Celestromn mount, and synch now works fine
Have also tested with a canon 6D, works for us
Haven't tried Polar Alignement yet
Any hint on live stacking, and PC live connexion (INDI style)?
Thanks for your good products, JC

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon May 27, 2019 9:04 am

Hello

Spain (Canary Islands)
IPad Pro, iphoneX
Sky-Watcher AZEQ6 GT
ASI224MC ASI 174MM, ASI 1600 MM Cool
EWF mini
I received the ASI AIR a few days ago and spent the whole weekend trying to connect the ASI AIR to the mount. The mount has last updates and there is no problem with cameras and EWF, but I could only connect once afther many attempts.
Aligned 3 stars connected hand controller PC MODE and tried to connect with USB RS232 baud 9600, even tried with Sky-Watcher WiFi device with Ethernet connection.
Strange than I could connect once and worked fine with exactly same configuration. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Erik