driver problem

any question related to our SDK and driver

Moderators: yang, chad, ray

Benni

driver problem

Post by Benni » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi,
I am using an ASI 1600 mmcool. I had problems making flats with the ccd flats aid tool of astro photography tool.

The problem was that suddenly, after some time, he camera appeared busy, yet no image was made or downloaded.
I tried everything: From a different usb cable to a different usb speed. The problem only went away after I checked the box "disable min exposure check". A post in the apt forum suggests that this is a driver problem with the ascom driver.

after checking this box, apt then worked flawlessly....

chad

Re: driver problem

Post by chad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:28 am

Hi Benni,
Can you tell us which application do you use? We will check it.
Thanks
Chad
ZWO Driver Engineer
SuZhou China

Benni

Post by Benni » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi, thank you for your answer. If you could check this out it would be nice.

unfortunately, the problem happened again...

Well I only get this problem with the ccd flats aid in astrophotography tool which you can download here for free....

https://ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx

I use windows 7 and the newest ascom drivers for the asi 1600 mono cool

I use the ccd flats aid tool there to create a flats plan for all 8 filters...

Often sometimes, the camera will work for a time but then, say during the h alpha filter, just say it is busy and hang in the process. Clearly there is a hang somewhere and the camera only works again when I disconnect it from apt and restart apt.. This is unfortunate as it takes time to warm the camera up and cool it down again... this still works fortunately..

Some other people have this problem as you can see here

http://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=802

http://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=846

It never appeared to happen during imaging on my pc. But this maybe because deep sky imagng is always longer than 10 seconds. On my pc it only occurs during flats aid, where the application roams through different exposures in order to find the optimal time, or during taking flats which often take very faat exposure times....

settings are usb lowest speed setting. And I use a rather long usb 3 cable... but it should be within the usb3 specs (2 or 3 meters, I guess).

Benni

Post by Benni » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:26 pm

I suspect that this problem simply is connectes with the capacity of the computer. Perhaps the camera wants to send an immage immediately but the pc is a bit busy, or the cable creates problems with the signal, creating a milisecond delay or a single pixel that is wrong... and this model of the asi has no memory buffer i think...

And instead of making an error message or simply begin to go to the next image, the camera hangs immediately...

This would somewhat explain why it does not happen during 10 seconds exposure but only during fast flats...

Benni

Post by Benni » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:06 pm

now i made flats with an usb 3 cable of 1.8m lengh. everything worked.
Apparently the problems only occur with a 3m cable.....

chad

Post by chad » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:09 am

Hi,
Good news!
One possible reason: As the length of the USB cable increases, the resistance of the wire increases, resulting in unstable connection. Especially when the high-speed signal begins to transmit, it is more likely to fail.
Thanks
Chad
ZWO Driver Engineer
SuZhou China

Benni

Post by Benni » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:22 am

yes but the camera should not crash then but perhaps put out an error message and leave the rest to software since it just happens sometimes... perhaps the driver can measure somehow if the connection is stable enough... I do not know but it is not happening always with the long cable, just sometimes...

chad

Post by chad » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:54 am

Hi,
In this case, it hard for the camera to give out a result. As we know, we use the USB to communication between PC and camera, and the USB support the hot-plug, it means when the data is lost, it doesn't just mean that the connection is unstable, it could be disconnected. Another situation, unstable connection cause a short re-connect between camera and PC, for our camera, power restart means a reset operation, in this situation, the camera is fresh for the system.
Now we have tried many ways to solve this kind of unstable problem, but there still have some situation could not fit. In a word, the problems need us work together to solve it.
Thanks
Chad
ZWO Driver Engineer
SuZhou China

Benni

Post by Benni » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:45 am

what i know is this: when the camera crashes with this long cable and just produces no output, i still can disconnect. But then i also loose access to the cooler and the entire thing heats up uncontrolled. But i can then reconnect. Before disconnecting, i thus must choose to click on the warming aid in order to heath it up. this still works. Then i can reconnect and cool it down...

perhaps one may add a function restart without loosing access to the cooler... that would help a bit...

chad

Post by chad » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:25 am

Got your mean.
When the problem occurs, you just want to reconnect the USB port without reconnect the external power. Am I right?
Sorry, this is not working right now. According to our design, Part of the firmware is independent of running, as long as there is power, it will always run, not controlled by USB. So if you want to restart the camera, you have to reconnect the external power and USB at the moment. Maybe we can improve it in the future.
Thanks
Chad
ZWO Driver Engineer
SuZhou China