Educator needs help with new 174MM for solar

Post your Solar / Lunar / Planetary images taken with ZWO Products here.

Educator needs help with new 174MM for solar

Postby fjwallace » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Hi,
When I went looking for a camera I was hoping to get something that had a great 'live-view' to use with students on a large monitor (while they wait to see it in person) and the representative said the 174MM was the camera I needed - he had a 174MM and saw live views like I wanted in his camera easily. Right after I bought it, I had to send in my PST for repairs (found out the filter was completely 'rusted', etc. and couldn't see anything well). After 14 weeks, I have gotten it back and tested the 174MM for the first time and was NOT able to see both the prominences and surface features as hoped (they are clearly visible in the eyepiece!). Am I doing something wrong? I tried varying exposure and gain. I took some pictures and when processed I can see surface features clearly but prominences are still incredibly 'weak' (even when vastly overexposed). I am using Firecapture and AutoStakkert software with the camera. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
fjwallace

Re: Educator needs help with new 174MM for solar

Postby Merlin66 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:38 am

I also have and use the ASI 174MM for solar imaging....
Sounds like you're doing everything corretly.
It may just come down to focusing and tuning.
"Astronomical Spectroscopy -The Final Frontier" -to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before.
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs"
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital Spectroheliograph"
Merlin66

Postby fjwallace » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your response! Can you see both prominences and surface features with an H-alpha scope using this camera in 'live view'? If so, do you know what your settings are or do you have any advice for attaining this goal? Thanks!
fjwallace

Postby Merlin66 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:00 am

The "live view" image can be disappointing.....the seeing conditions usually distorts the image but generally the surface features, filaments and proms can still be seen.

The image finally comes alive when you record an AVI file and process it through AS! and Registax.

No strong recommendations on camera settings - it depends on the telescope and filters you are using.
"Astronomical Spectroscopy -The Final Frontier" -to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before.
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs"
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital Spectroheliograph"
Merlin66

Return to Solar / Lunar / Planetary Images