ASI224MC as All Sky camera

Post your Solar / Lunar / Planetary images taken with ZWO Products here.
rederikus

ASI224MC as All Sky camera

Post by rederikus » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:44 pm

What it the suitability of using this camera as a permanent All Sky camera please? Using it like this means it is is mounted in a weatherproof enclosure with the camera pointing vertically at the sky 24/7. Here's some pics of the project build https://photos.app.goo.gl/46JPBibTcCAg1g7GA. Insde the case is a Raspberry Pi that generates heat. This stops condensation but the whole thing is exposed to the sun all day and today the camera is running over 50C.

The project is based on Thomas Jacquin's excellent AllSky Camera project http://www.thomasjacquin.com/all-sky-camera/

You can see the view I get here http://75.10.164.105:8082/public.php. I am still fiddling with orientation and the final mounting so if the view suddenly changes, that's why.

Please let me know if ZWO recommend this type of installation. I am especially worried about high temperature in summer where the sensor will get very hot indeed and about sensor damage due to prolonged sun exposure. I would also like to know if ZWO specifically reccomends a differnt camera as an All Sky device.

Thank you for your help and I look forward to your reply.

joecool1211

Re: ASI224MC as All Sky camera

Post by joecool1211 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:18 pm

I was about to ask a similar question as I've put together an ASI290MC (with the included wide angle lens) as an all sky camera. I live on the equator and the sun is really hot here.

I'm also concerned whether the sensor will get damaged from exposure to the mid-day sun and what options we have.

rederikus

Post by rederikus » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:45 pm

@joe,

Those are the exact questions I would like answered. I think the ZWO folk are on New Year vacation for a few days so we will probably need to wait a while until they answer. The thought of a camera sensor sitting out in 60C temperature in its weatherproof housing with the sun pointing right onto the sensor whilst being focused there by the lens is indeed a worrying scenario.

I hope that ZWO will soon come back and say either, it should be fine or, this voids your warranty.

Happy New Year.

joecool1211

Post by joecool1211 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:18 am

Just to let you know my experience so far.

I put an ASI290MC in a waterproof box wrapped in aluminum tape. It has been running for a month now, seemingly without issues. It is capable of taking images during broad daylight with extremely short exposures. No damage to the sensor yet.

The sensor temperature rises to around 50 deg C during the day. Thus, I record images only during the night.

After running for a month, software was unable to connect to it. Pulling out the USB cable and reconnecting it restored the connection.

ZebraTusks

Post by ZebraTusks » Thu May 09, 2019 4:08 am

Hi Everyone

I have just built the Allsky camera using the AS1224MC and wide angle lens Arecont 1.55. I was wondering if anyone has any practical focussing advice to get the best out of the camera? I see wonderfully sharp pictures on some websites but I am struggling to achieve anything like this. Are there any good tips to make focussing easy? Thanks in advance!